whom he has completely forgotten.

  Regards,

  Theresa J. Steed

  Tue, 26 Jun 2007 15:56:15 -0400    To:  "Theresa Steed" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 From:  "Sen. Ted Kennedy" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>    Subject:  Cheney's
Constitutional Crisis
#message2230205606619050381558361901257584104963426017741 { overflow:auto;
visibility:hidden }
                       Dear Theresa,

Right now, the Vice President of the United States is breaking the law.

Since 2003, Vice President Cheney has refused to comply with Executive Order
12958, which "prescribes a uniform system for classifying, safeguarding, and
declassifying national security information."

The Vice President claims he's exempt from presidential executive orders
because, as President of the Senate, he is "attached" to the legislative
branch. But the Senate has even more stringent regulations on the handling of
classified material -- even more rules that the Vice President hasn't followed.
In typical fashion, the White House will only say that this is an "interesting
constitutional question that people can debate."

Article II, Section 1 of the U.S. Constitution clearly states:
    The executive power shall be vested in a President of the United States of
America. He shall hold his office during the term of four years, and, together
with the Vice President, chosen for the same term, be elected ...
  It's time to remind the Vice President that he can't ignore our nation's
laws. We're putting together a special copy of the U.S. Constitution just for
him -- one that has the 39 original signatures along with all of ours. Add your
name today and send a message to Dick Cheney:
  http://www.democraticmajority.com/cheney
  The Bush Administration refuses to hold itself accountable for the protection
of our national security, and Vice President Cheney is a key part of the
problem. It was his office that leaked the identity of a CIA agent to the
media. He's part of an Administration under investigation for using email
accounts of the Republican National Committee to conduct official government
business. According to the Washington Post:
    Across the board, the vice president's office goes to unusual lengths to
avoid transparency. Cheney declines to disclose the names or even the size of
his staff, generally releases no public calendar and ordered the Secret Service
to destroy his visitor logs.
  ...In the usual business of interagency consultation, proposals and
information flow into the vice president's office from around the government,
but high-ranking White House officials said in interviews that almost nothing
flows out. Close aides to Cheney describe a similar one-way valve inside the
office, with information flowing up to the vice president but little or no
reaction flowing down.
  Executive Order 12958 states that information must be properly maintained "to
protect our citizens, our democratic institutions, and our participation within
the community of nations." President Bush amended and endorsed this order, and
Vice President Cheney's office complied with it until 2003. Effective oversight
and transparency of our country's most important documents are essential to
accountability and respect for the rule of law.
  Under Dick Cheney's watch, some of our country's most disgraceful moments
have happened -- from Guantanamo Bay to Abu Ghraib. Because of him, the Bush
administration started in secrecy, marched to war in secrecy and will end in
secrecy, all with great damage to our Constitution, to our government and to
the American people.
  Tell Vice President Cheney he's not above the Constitution. He can't rewrite
the Constitution to suit himself.
  http://www.democraticmajority.com/cheney
  Sincerely,

Senator Edward M. Kennedy

              Paid for by The Committee for a Democratic Majority
  To unsubscribe, go to: http://www.democraticmajority.com/unsubscribe

and lay it on us.