"Theresa J. Steed" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 02 Aug 2007 14:08:59 -0700
Subject: Checks and Balances
From: "People For the American Way" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Forward this e-mail | Subscribe to PFAW Action Alerts
PEOPLE FOR THE AMERICAN WAY August 2, 2007

  Dear Theresa J.,
  When did Americans begin to take the Constitution for granted? When did our
vision for justice blur so dangerously?
  As activists and Americans, every day we gaze, gawk, and stare at a President
who defies the values we hold dearest. Some of us are angry. Others terrified.
Many of us are both. And yet as members of People For the American Way, we can
repair our battered Constitution. We can fight off President Bush's coming
assaults on the Constitution. We can see a better way. It takes vision. And it
takes action.
  If you're angry or terrified or share our vision of the Constitution, can you
give now so that we can take urgently needed action?
  At a time when Bush's gloomy polling flirts with Nixon's, many grow weary and
are just counting the days for this presidency to end. But we cannot simply
avert our eyes, and People For the American Way will not just ride out the end
of the Bush era. We can see our president's warped view of the executive
branch. We see it clearly—as the ideological underpinning of arrogant,
terrifying, and shameful abuse of power.
  That's why we do our work. That's why we fight against the NSA's illegal
domestic spying. That's why we push for the restoration of habeas corpus.
That's why we demand that White House stonewallers be held accountable by
holding them in contempt of Congress. When some politicians and members of the
media let John Roberts and Samuel Alito lull them into believing that the Far
Right actually does respect precedent and the Constitution, or does understand
fundamental checks and balances, we expose the truth.
  It's critical that we open our nation's eyes to how fragile our Constitution
really is. We must spread the word that the Court, no less than the Presidency,
will be on the ballot in November, and a wise electorate will vote accordingly.
  Will you help us educate and mobilize our electorate? Will you help put the
Supreme Court on the ballot?
  It's already clear that the Far Right yearns to make this an issue to
motivate and turn out its voters. Republican presidential candidates are
already dangling the obscene promise of more Far Right nominees to the court in
order to placate their intolerant base. It's right-wing code for turning back
the clock on decades of social justice progress.
  But we're looking to the future—and taking action now to protect it. People
For the American Way is poised to launch an all-encompassing Supreme Court
Campaign leading up to the 2008 elections. We need your help executing our
vision, built on three pillars:
  Identify Senate races and presidential battlegrounds where Americans will
care deeply about the Court and the Constitution it interprets.
Scrutinize recent decisions and upcoming cases that tell the story of what the
Court is doing to our rights and freedoms in order to create compelling ways to
tell that story to voters.
Charge into those battlegrounds and get the story to voters who most need to
hear it.
Can you help us start a conversation that will help progressive and moderate
Americans see clearly that a vote for a better tomorrow must also be a vote for
a fairer Supreme Court?
  In so many ways, People For the American Way is already starting this
conversation. This week, we're gathering in Chicago with other progressives for
the second annual YearlyKos convention, which we're proud to sponsor. We've
organized several events, including one called "Reversing the Alito Effect,"
dedicated to strategizing with the netroots and others about how progressives
can reverse the damage done by the Roberts-Alito Court.
  PFAW's Ralph G. Neas will talk with Slate.com editor and legal affairs writer
Dahlia Lithwick, Harvard Law professor David Barron, and Philadelphia attorney
Adam Bonin about how to mobilize progressives in 2008 and beyond to keep Far
Right justices from dominating the Court, and defying our Constitution, for a
generation or more.
  Will you help us with this and other projects critical to making America see
clearly that the Supreme Court matters to justice and fairness and our everyday
lives?
  Thank you.
  —Your Friends at People For the American Way
  http://www.kintera.org/site/lookup.asp?c=feIJKQMEF&b=2891875

This message was sent to: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
  Manage your People For profile and e-mail subscriptions at:
http://www.pfaw.org/go/my_profile
  To ensure that People For e-mails are not diverted to your spam or bulk
folders,
please add [EMAIL PROTECTED] to your address book and/or "safe list."
  When you click through to some of our pages,
the addresses may include "kintera." This is normal.
  Please DO NOT reply to this e-mail. Replies will not be read.
To contact us online, please use the web form at:
http://www.pfaw.org/go/contact_us/

  Thu, 02 Aug 2007 19:35:25 GMT