-----Original Message-----
From: Alamaine <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: CTRL <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Sat, 19 Apr 2008 3:05 pm
Subject: [ctrl] AlterNet: Revealed: The Cartoonishly Racist Faked Memoir That
Duped the NY Times

Revealed: The Cartoonishly Racist Faked Memoir That Duped the NY Times
By John Gorenfeld, AlterNet
Posted on April 19, 2008, Printed on April 19, 2008
http://www.alternet.org/story/82615/

Last month, it was revealed that the New York Times and Manhattan
publishing world were deceived by Love and Consequences, a faked memoir by
a white girl who claimed to live the life you only hear about in Dr. Dre
songs. The damage control was so good, the book never saw daylight, and we
never knew how big of an embarrassment this cartoonishly racist gangster
fantasy should have been. But last week a copy arrived at my doorstep.

Supposedly written by gangsta moll Margaret B. Jones, Love and
Consequences turned out to be the work of middle-class liar Margaret
Seltzer. She had invented the tale behind a laptop at Starbucks, tricking
not only her publisher, but also her fans at the Times, which graced the
memoir with repeated coverage.

After it was revealed her work was a forgery, the damage control was swift
and successful. On March 5, with the book just out the door, the New York
Times revealed the hoax, if not just how bad it was. Her agent, Faye
Bender, told the paper, reassuringly, that "there was no reason to doubt
her, ever." And that set the tone for the coverage. Love & Consequences,
wrote the L.A. Times, must have seemed "edgy, sexy, cinematic."

Except it's not. As a true story, this book would have been less about
"love" and more about crude racial stereotypes. As a hoax, it reads as
easily the laziest forgery ever to receive a six-figure advance and a rave
review in the Times.

In an important sense, the real scandal was never discovered. Thanks to
the book's speedy recall, we missed what should worry everyone: the
catastrophic failure of the New York Times's B.S. detectors, which we
thought they tuned up after the twin factual fiascos of Jayson Blair and
Judith Miller.

Copies are going for $78 online, but one slipped through the blockade. So
here, for the first time, are the Cliffs Notes.

Chapter One: Lost

Year: Unknown. Margaret B. Jones watches her friend, "Kraziak," bite the
dust in a hail of AK-47 bullets. This is what we call in media res-opening
mid-story.

In this passage, which the Times excerpted, Seltzer places herself in a
ghetto battlefield that could have been a video game mission in Grand
Theft Auto: San Andreas. "We were smoking niggas," she concludes, after
spilling a 40-ounce bottle of malt liquor for a dead comrade, "sending
them to heaven every day."

Tipping the 40: almost every under-35 hipster, stoner, or frat boy on a
liquor run has at one time trivialized important social problems by
joshing about this fabled street rite. Here this Caucasian joke is made
flesh, as the amber liquid burns Jones' throat. A "big homie smiled at
me," she recalls, "and then slipped the remaining cups over the neck of
the Hennessey bottle ..."

Easily the strongest writing. From here on it speeds downhill, and the
story becomes less believable.

Chapter Two: The hand you are dealt

Flash back to around 1979. Jones is an innocent toddler in foster care who
loves Make Way For Ducklings but is shell-shocked from dimly described
sexual abuse. The transition into G-life is hazy. Here she introduces a
major theme, an excuse for the oddly psychologically flat tone of the
book, its lack of introspection. Turns out she has PTSD, and is too
stunned by life! "If I couldn't feel it," she writes, "it couldn't hurt
me."

Chapter Three: Start from scratch

1982. Margaret ticks off L.A. highways as she's driven to her new home in
the vicinity of Slauson and Central avenues, but the journey sounds more
Mapquest than memory. Then, with the arrival of Margaret's new caretaker,
Big Mom, the narrative detours from N.W.A.'s Greatest Hits territory into
the world of Aunt Jemima fantasies. It doesn't take an African-American
Studies major to get bad vibes from the stereotypical treatment of the
saintly mammy. Big Mom has no interests of her own; she wears an austere
white dress on the book cover, calls everyone "child," and asks the Lord:
"I know you don't give me more than I can handle, but please, sweet Jesus,
help me with these youngstas."

Everyone else speaks in what Times critic Michiko Kakutani called
"colorful, streetwise argot": nigga this, you'ze a punk-ass that. Kakutani
also called the book "humane and deeply affecting."

By now, even on the book's own terms, it's barely working as a memoir, in
which someone thinks about their life. Instead it's like a doll's house of
African-Americans, displayed for us in supposedly authentic glory.

One night Margaret has been having a cutesy conversation with God, when
gunshots wake her! Outside she sees a guy covered with blood. Not knowing
why, she finds herself writing, in crayon, the words "South Central."
Poor, unsuspecting Margaret!

Chapter Four: Conceptions of shade

1983. Margaret discusses skin color with adopted brother Terrell, in what
is supposed to signal an Autobiography of Malcolm X-style dawning
awareness of racial consciousness. "Living here," she observes, "white
seemed to mean rich people who didn't understand or care." Another
insight: Turns out black people don't even want to be white!

A false note is struck as we see Taye, another kid, playing the old Atari
Combat tank game, and yelling at the TV, "Bam, nigga, take that. Yea,
nigga, what now?" First of all, Combat was paced like molasses. Second,
this is a good place to mention that aside from that Atari 2600, authentic
'80s flavor is conspicuously AWOL from the setting and slang. It all feels
very modern. Sure, some words have been around forever. But where's
"sucka"?

Margaret tries to use Terrell's afro pick, in a moment of adorable ethnic
tourism. We end on a note of cheap fatalism that will define the rest of
the book. What critics mistook for fresh pathos was a sentimentality
stolen from airbrushed T-shirt art memorializing the slain rapper 2Pac. "A
nigga didn't choose this, it chose me," a voice echoes in Seltzer's head.
"It ain't my fault the streets was kalling."

Chapter Five: God's favorites

Terrell is committing crimes, applying to be a gangster. Seltzer presents
this as a methodical process, almost like applying for advanced placement
tests. "Everyone had a rank ... and everyone else knew what it was ...
Others had failed to prove themselves and were known as as 'punks,'
'marks,' and 'bustas,' unable to raise themselves above the ruins they had
become ..."

Loads of bad "street" dialect: "[G]o ask this nigga some shit ... Easy
kome up, feel me? [...] So homie walk up to the nigga and ask him some
bullish ... that kinda shyt ... [etc.]" (An author's preface reproaches us
lest we take offense: "Please do not confuse the use of slang and my
replacing c's with k's as ignorance or stupidity." OK.)

Taye confronts Big Mom: "Where exactly is ure God? ... God is jus like
everyone else. He jus don't give a fukk."

Just as Big Mom begins thrashing Taye for this deist rant, Seltzer
lectures us in a high-school-paper tone on "the tradition of beating
children in the black community." She's trying to cover her sociological
bases, so she also takes us into the doors of the First African Methodist
Episcopal Church, the rock of the community. She describes it in an
awkward aside that sounds like Wikipedia.

And you're wondering, where are the moments that feel spontaneous, like
life? All that time at church, and Seltzer will only say of it: "The
pastor was well aware of the interconnectedness of the community's people,
and it was reflected in his sermon, which seemed to speak directly to me
and the things going on in our family."

Then, on the way out of church, everything turns into a Shaft movie for a
second:

I walked beside Mother Evans, carrying her Bible ... I smiled back, but
then, before I could say anything, a man came around the corner of the
building and grabbed Mother Evans by the arm.
"Gimme the purse, ol' lady." His head looked nervously from side to side.
"And the diamond ring, too."
Mother Evans shook her head ... She reached slowly toward her bag, but
then, instead of taking the bag from her shoulder, she reached into her
coat and pulled out a small pistol and turned back on the man.
"Punk ass mothafukka," she said, pointing the pistol in his face. "Git up
on outta here, you ain takin shyt. Punk mothafukka." The man looked
shocked for a minute and then took off ...
Mother Evans tucked the pistol back into her jacket and opened her door as
if nothing had happened.

The rest of the book

Sad to say, it just gets worse. Instead of providing a believable arc by
which snow-white Margaret Jones becomes an "Original Gangsta" --
fanatically devoted to dealing drugs for the Bloods, but somehow able to
leave it for college -- the book disintegrates into a series of juvenile
episodes.

Margaret Jones goes to McDonald's ... her friend makes life hard for
caricatured Korean store owners ("You no touch, you no touch!") ... a guy
named Rodney barricades himself against the LAPD ("This is your last
chance to do this the easy way, Rodney") ... she visits a black prison
inmate in the Central Valley of California, whose whole schtick seems
ripped off from Public Enemy's "Black Steel in the Hour Of Chaos," being
that he, like rapper Chuck D, resents a female corrections officer. Oh,
and Margaret screams "Nooooo" as the cops kill her dog, Bitch, who then
bubbles over with blood and twitches for two pornographic pages.

By the last chapter, "The Last Threads Of Innocence," she will have
overcome her blind hatred for the Crips -- the reason she doesn't use the
letter "c" -- and, to her surprise, fall in love with one. And she will
have learned the code of the streets from a drug dealer Slikk. We can
forgive Seltzer for falling short of Sun Tzu's The Art of War, but when
she recalls such advice to young Gs as "in war, strive for rendering the
enemy harmless," you wonder why gangsters would bother drawing up a code
at all. That code also advises the G to strike with the force of a
"vicious act of terrorism." That line is also an uncredited swipe from the
Wu-Tang Clan album Enter the 36 Chambers, which wouldn't have been
released yet.

Slikk insists she attend college. But she protests: "I am L.A. I'm-a-die
in this bitch." But when she gets in, she makes Big Mom so very happy ...
Another chapter begins with a dead giveaway to any native Los Angeleno. An
August day is being "cooled" by a "touch of Santa Ana wind." I can
understand why a New Yorker would miss it. But as we know out here, these
"devil winds" are hot. They "make your nerves jump and your skin itch,"
Raymond Chandler once wrote, and "every booze party ends in a fight." Now
that's what an L.A. underworld should sound like.

In the world of Internet fan fiction -- in which amateur fans of Buffy the
Vampire Slayer and other shows imagine new adventures, they have a
derisive term, the "Mary Sue Story," for wish-fulfillment that crosses the
line. That's when a certain kind of fan breaks the rules and makes herself
the hero, fascinating everyone, saving the world.

This story, about a white girl who makes black people happy by escaping
 from their ghetto, is a Mary Sue story about race. And people ought to be
upset that it passed for realism.

John Gorenfeld is the author of Bad Moon Rising and the writer of a new
short film, The King of America.
© 2008 Independent Media Institute. All rights reserved.
View this story online at: http://www.alternet.org/story/82615/

--
Alamaine, IVe
Grand Forks, ND, US of A

"Being ignorant is not such a shame as being unwilling to learn." -
Poor Richard's Almanack, 1758 (Benjamin Franklin)
~~~~~~~
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material is
distributed without profit to those who have expressed a prior
interest in receiving the included information for research and
educational purposes.

------------------------------------

www.ctrl.org
DECLARATION & DISCLAIMER
==========
ctrl is a discussion & informational exchange list. Proselytizing propagandic
screeds are unwelcomed. Substance—not soap-boxing—please!  These are sordid
matters and 'conspiracy theory'—with its many half-truths, mis-directions and
outright frauds—is used politically by different groups with major and minor
effects spread throughout the spectrum of time and thought.
That being said, ctrl gives no endorsement to the validity of posts, and always
suggests to readers; be wary of what you read. ctrl gives no credence to
Holocaust denial and nazi's need not apply.

There are two list running, [EMAIL PROTECTED] and [EMAIL PROTECTED],
[EMAIL PROTECTED] has unlimited posting and is more for discussion.
[EMAIL PROTECTED] is more for informational exchange and has limited posting
abilities.

Omimited posting abilities.

OmYahoo! Groups Links