From Iraq to South Ossetia?  Sounds like a Brzezinski priority.  -vmann.

/*"The US will provide us with the transportation" */

-------- Original Message --------
Subject:        [SPY NEWS] Georgia sends troops from Iraq to South Ossetia
Date:   Sun, 10 Aug 2008 07:17:06 -0000
From:   Mario Profaca <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To:     [EMAIL PROTECTED]

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/europe/article4495242.ece
August 10, 2008
Georgia sends troops from Iraq to South Ossetia
Georgian soldiers run past a building hit by bombardment in Gori
(Reuters/Gleb Garanich)

(Gleb Garanich)

Georgian soldiers in South Ossetia will be bolstered by troops
currently based in Iraq
Deborah Haynes in Baghdad

Half of Georgia's 2,000 troops in Iraq plan to leave the country by
Monday to join the fight against separatists in the breakaway province
of South Ossetia, with the rest following as soon as possible, their
commander said.

"First of all we need to remove 1,000 guys from here within 96 hours,
after that the rest of the guys," Colonel Bondo Maisuradze told The
Times this morning.

"The US will provide us with the transportation," he added.

Georgia had said initially that it planned to withdraw just half of
its contingent in Iraq.

The US military said that all transportation options were being
explored, without confirming that it would provide the aircraft.

It also said that the sudden departure of the soldiers would impact
operations in the short-term.

The Georgian contingent has been taking part in an operation with US
and Iraqi forces to clear the south-eastern corner of Diyala province,
north of Baghdad, a known al-Qaeda stronghold.

Some 150 Georgian soldiers also guard the Iraqi Parliament building as
well as other key structures inside Baghdad's fortified Green Zone.

In addition, one battalion is helping to support the Iraqi security
forces in Wasit province, south of the capital, near the Iranian border.

Asked about the impact on operations, the US military said: "The
unplanned redeployment of Georgian forces will have some impact in the
near term, however, as with any change in force structure, we will
make adjustments to ensure sustainment of coalition operations."

It continued in a statement: "We do not anticipate their departure
will result in a significant long-term impact on the overall security
situation in Iraq."

Colonel Maisuradze said that his men were anxious to get home after
seeing images on television of the unrest in South Ossetia as Russian
forces support separatist militias under assault from Georgian troops.

"They want to go home as soon as possible and help," he said, noting
that the experience that Georgian troops have gained of fighting an
insurgency in Iraq would benefit them as they tackle the problems in
their own country.

"We have the same situation in our home as here, though the territory
is different, we have no desert," Colonel Maisuradze said.

Last year, the Georgians raised the number of troops in Iraq from 850
to 2,000 at a time when most non-American contingents were cutting
back --- a move that won them points with US commanders.

------------------------------------

-__ ___ _ ___ __ ___ _ _ _ __ /-_|-0-\-V-/-\|-|-__|-|-|-/-_| \_-\--_/\-/|-\\-|-_||-V-V-\_-\ |__/_|--//-|_|\_|___|\_A_/|__/ SPY NEWS is OSI newsletter and discussion list associated to Mario's Cyberspace Station - The Global Intelligence News Portal
http://mprofaca.cro.net
http://spynews.byethost13.com

Since you are receiving and reading documents, news stories,
comments and opinions not only from so called (or self-proclaimed) "reliable sources", but also a lot of possible misinformation collected and posted to Spy News for OSI purposes - it should be a serious reason (particularly to journalists and web publishers) to think twice before using it for their story writing, further publishing or forwarding throughout Cyberspace.

To unsubscribe:
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

*** FAIR USE NOTICE: This message contains copyrighted material whose use has
not been specifically authorized by the copyright owner. Spy News is making it
available without profit to SPY NEWS members who have expressed a prior
interest in receiving the included information in their efforts to advance the
understanding of intelligence and law enforcement organizations, their
activities, methods, techniques, human rights, civil liberties and other
only. We always mention the author and link the original site and page of every
article. We believe that this constitutes a 'fair use' of the copyrighted
material as provided for in section 107 of the U.S. Copyright Law. If you wish
to use this copyrighted material for purposes of your own that go beyond 'fair
use,' you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.
For more information go to:

SPY NEWS home page: