From: "ddbriones" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: September 7, 2008 5:49:12 PM PDT
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: [narconews] Bricker: Review of "The Fire and the Word: A History of the Zapatista Movement"

September 7, 2008
Please Distribute Widely

Dear Colleague:

Since 1997 Gloria Muñoz has been researching the indigenous Zapatista Movement in the Southern Mexican state of Chiapas. In 2003 she released the results in the Spanish- language book titled 20 y 10: El Fuego y la Palabra. Now being released under the name, The Fire and the Word. Readers now have the opportunity to read Muñoz' "intimate details
about the EZLN's initial organizing process" and much more, in English.

Narco News' Kristin Bricker writes of the book:

"While English-speakers had to wait five long years to read it, Muñoz made The Fire and the Word worth the wait. The English translation updates the Spanish version, including new chapters and pictures of Zapatista history up through the Other Campaign in 2006.

"…The insurgents also discuss their seemingly suicidal decision to declare war on the Mexican government on January 1, 1994. Comandante Abraham says, 'We didn't think that we were going to live; we thought that most likely we would fall and that others would continue the struggle. We didn't think there would be people to help us.'

"…Rather than simply regurgitating tired stories about Zapatismo, Muñoz uses her book as a tool. She recently completed a book tour in the United States. She traveled from California to New York, meeting with grass roots organizations, adherents to the EZLN's
Sixth Declaration, and Zapatista sympathizers."

Read the rest of the review online at Narco News:

http://www.narconews.com

Narco News is supported by:

The Fund for Authentic Journalism P.O. Box 241 Natick, MA 01760
http://www.authenticjournalism.org

The Fund receives online donations at this web page:

http://www.authenticjournalism.org

Apply for your co-publisher's account, here:

http://www.narconews.com/copublisher/application.php

Subscribe for free alerts of new reports:

Suscribete gratis para alertas de nuevos reportajes en espanol:

Inscreva-se para alertas gratuitos de reportagens do ultimo minuto em
portugues brasileiro: