Begin forwarded message:

From: "Mario Profaca" <mario.prof...@zg.htnet.hr>
Date: January 3, 2009 6:44:40 PM PST
To: spyn...@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [SPY NEWS] It was horrible knowing I was being snooped on

http://women.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_style/women/relationships/article5437929.ece
From The Sunday Times
January 4, 2009
It was horrible knowing I was being snooped on
Harriet Rudd

I had been informed that Matt was testing spy kit for the newspaper
(I'm used to him using me as a guinea pig for his job) but he didn't
tell me when he intended to start the test, or about all the kit he
was going to use. A week after he mentioned it, I was happily going
about my private business, so I was rather taken aback when he
telephoned to say he'd just been listening to one of my phone
conversations . . . even though he was at work.

It was a horrible sensation to know I'd been snooped on. Really weird.
I kept on running the conversation through my mind, in spite of having
nothing to hide. Even though it was just a test, it made me start to
question the trust I assumed we had.

Then came the car tracker and the horrible, horrible computer
keystroke recorder.

Even though I wasn't having an affair, it's terrifying how easy even a
technologically incompetent fool like my dear husband managed to plug
straight into my life. I started to rethink what I'd done that day and
saw how easy it would be for perfectly innocent things to be
misinterpreted. Such as if I'd written "love" at the end of an e-mail.
Or had a brief, harmless whinge about husbands to a friend on the
phone. Or snogged the TV repair man . . .

You can see why people on Big Brother go so mad so quickly. Even
though they know they're being spied on, it's a huge pressure.

While Matt had his gadgets, I felt totally self-conscious . . . I
started to behave as though I were being monitored. Not a nice feeling.

If I ever do conduct an illicit relationship with a man called Geoff,
which, despite this little saga, is unlikely, I now know not to do it
by e-mail or phone or at home or by car. So we shall meet in the woods
that are walking distance away on Sunday mornings when the kids are
with Nana and Matt goes for his bike ride.

There are ways of getting your own back on an overly inquisitive
husband, of course. I did my own research in the wake of Massagegate
and it turns out that you can employ a few quite simple
counter-espionage measures. The internet offers bug detectors,
machines that interfere with hidden voice recorders and mobile phones
with inbuilt encryption. For £122, you can buy a small sweeper that
alerts you to hidden bedroom cameras. And there's another little box
that produces white noise to mask sweet nothings.

Frankly, though, if things have got that bad, you're probably better
off cutting your losses and running off with Geoff.

Copyright 2008 Times Newspapers Ltd.

------------------------------------

-__ ___ _ ___ __ ___ _ _ _ __
/-_|-0-\-V-/-\|-|-__|-|-|-/-_|
\_-\--_/\-/|-\\-|-_||-V-V-\_-\
|__/_|--//-|_|\_|___|\_A_/|__/

SPY NEWS is OSI newsletter and discussion list associated to
Mario's Cyberspace Station - The Global Intelligence News Portal
http://mprofaca.cro.net
http://spynews.byethost13.com

Since you are receiving and reading documents, news stories,
comments and opinions not only from so called (or self-proclaimed)
"reliable sources", but also a lot of possible misinformation
collected and posted to Spy News for OSI purposes - it should be
a serious reason (particularly to journalists and web publishers)
to think twice before using it for their story writing, further
publishing or forwarding throughout Cyberspace.

To unsubscribe:
mailto:spynews-unsubscr...@yahoogroups.com

*** FAIR USE NOTICE: This message contains copyrighted material whose use has not been specifically authorized by the copyright owner. Spy News is making it available without profit to SPY NEWS members who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information in their efforts to advance the understanding of intelligence and law enforcement organizations, their activities, methods, techniques, human rights, civil liberties and other intelligence related issues, for non-profit research and educational purposes only. We always mention the author and link the original site and page of every article. We believe that this constitutes a 'fair use' of the copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the U.S. Copyright Law. If you wish to use this copyrighted material for purposes of your own that go beyond 'fair use,' you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.
For more information go to:

SPY NEWS home page: