http://www.offshore-mag.com/index/article-display/3042570613/articles/of\
fshore/deepwater-horizon/2010/07/deepwater-horizon9.html
Deepwater Horizon: Well integrity test holds key to next step
Published:
Jul 13, 2010
Offshore staff

HOUSTON –  With completion of the capping stack installation on the
Macondo well  possible today, the ensuing well integrity test will lead
to  determination of the next step to be taken at BP's Gulf of
Mexico spill  site, according to Coast Guard Admiral Thad Allen,
national incident  commander.

When the cap is installed, all production will be  taken off the Q4000
and Helix Producer and go through  the new cap. At that point, Allen
said, a sequence of valve closures  will shut off the flow of
hydrocarbons into the water and will give a  check on the actual flowing
pressure of the well. If all goes according  to plan, this could start
as soon as this afternoon.

The new cap  is a form of small BOP and is designed to give control of
the existing  choke and kill lines in addition to choke and kill lines
on the cap  itself. Allen said the first step will be to close the main
ram in the  cap, check the pressure, then close the kill line and check
the pressure  again, and then begin to slowly close the choke line valve
using an ROV  while constantly monitoring the pressure. When all the
valves are shut,  pressure build up will be monitored for between six
and 48 hours,  depending upon the force encountered.

The results of these  pressure tests and the ability of the system to
hold the sustained  pressures will lead to determination of the next
step. Allen said the  ideal circumstance would be for the pressure to
hold at 8,000 to 9,000  psi for as much as 48 hours. Then, the incident
command and BP will have  options regarding production of the
hydrocarbons.

In any case,  the relief well drilling still is seen as the final answer
to the flow.  The first well, being drilled by the Development Driller
III,  is at 17,843 ft, within 60-70 ft of its target depth and less then
41/2  ft horizontally away from the wellbore.

07/13/2010
http://www.offshore-mag.com/index/article-display/4847542102/articles/of\
fshore/deepwater-horizon/2010/07/deepwater-horizon12.htmlDeepwater
Horizon: Containment test extended another day
Published:
Jul 20, 2010
Offshore staff

WASHINGTON, DC  – Admiral Thad Allen, national incident commander,
has directed BP to  extend for another 24 hours the testing of the
containment cap at the  Macondo well. He said that while the test
response so far is good, the  decision is to continue to check the
pressure differential in the well  looking for anomalies.

As of Allen's press conference time,  pressure on the cap was at
6,834 psi and continues rising 1-2 psi/hour.  Also, temperature of the
wellbore liquids has stabilized at 40º F,  indicating that the fluids
are consistent. There are some small leaks at  the containment cap, but
nothing indicating any problems with the  wellhead integrity.

During the 24-hour period, monitoring of the  containment cap data as
wells as the acoustic, sonar, and seismic data  also being acquired will
be analyzed. Over the same general time frame,  Allen said, static kill
plans using the relief well will be finalized  based on available data.

The response group also is considering  methods to enable capture for
analysis gas from any leaks found by  monitoring the area around the
well.
http://www.google.com/search?q=akers+solutions+bp+cap
http://www.rigzone.com/news/article.asp?a_id=79248

thehatefulnerd@ wrote:

> > Seemed to me like they were trying to "Jimmy Carter" his ass.

http://www.legitgov.org/BP-says-cap-has-halted-oil-flow-Gulf-report-shar\
es-7
> >   BP says cap has halted oil flow in Gulf: report; shares up 7%
--U.S. shares of BP surged nearly 10% to $39.62 in recent activity. 15
Jul 2010 Oil has stopped leaking from the blown well in the Gulf of
Mexico for the first time since April, The Associated Press reported
Wednesday, citing BP PLC. Earlier in the day, BP said it started
performing an integrity test on the well following the placement of a
new containment cap on it over the weekend. The stoppage of the leak is
a part of the integrity test, which could last from six to 48 hours, and
not a permanent fix to the blown well.