On 18 Jul 2011, at 08:39, Ian Collins wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'm investigating replacing Samba in an organisation with about 1000 users
> (most have both Unix and windows accounts) that still uses an NT4 domain.
> All authentication is through Solaris based LDAP.
>
> I am struggling to see a way, given the lack of LDAP support in workgroup
> mode.  I'm also wondering why LDAP isn't supported when it is so widely used
> to authenticate windows users.
>
> Has anyone managed this?

It *is* a rather annoying restriction. FWIW I think you can get away with just
having a user entry in /var/smb/smbpasswd on the server with the rest of the
user's details coming from LDAP. I'm not sure if that's a bug or not, but it is
useful.

So if there was a way to build the smbpasswd file without using passwd(1) and
its partner in crime pam_smb_passwd.so that might well do the job.

Chris