Thanks for the help.

Does anyone know exactly what modification to the machine trust account it
smb_join tries to make? That same account, I can say, created the machine
account, and has made many changes to it via windows RSAT. If I knew the
exact change, I could reproduce it?

Also my only other clue is from debugging Samba where I see this...

auth_check_password_send: Checking password for unmapped user

For some reason, smb_join is sending a blank set of domain, username and
password to authenticate by Samba just before smbadm reports it can't make
the change.