http://www.haaretz.com/hasen/spages/1060289.html

Last update - 00:39 01/01/2009 


Is this the transcript of Peres' call to Erdogan following Davos spat? 

By Barak Ravid, Haaretz Correspondent 

Tags: Peres, Israel news, Turkey  

President Shimon Peres called Turkish Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan on 
Friday following Thursday's spat at the World Economic Forum in Davos, in 
efforts to soothe the tensions. 

On Thursday, Erdogan stormed off the stage after he was cut off by the forum 
moderator and barred from responding to Peres' defense of Israel's 22-day 
offensive in the Gaza Strip. 

Turkish media outlets reported that Peres had apologized to Erdogan during 
their five-minute phone conversation, but Peres' office denied the report, 
saying that the purpose of the telephone call was simply to ensure that the 
"crisis won't deteriorate." 
Advertisement

The following is a transcript of the phone conversation between the two 
leaders, issued by Turkey's state-run Anatolian Agency on Friday: 

Peres: Such things happen between friends. I am very sorry for today's 
incident. Firstly, my respect towards the Turkish republic and you a prime 
minister has never changed. 

Erdogan: Firstly, of course. There is no doubt that such arguments can happen 
between friends. But nobody can even speak to a tribe leader so loudly and in 
front of the international community, and not to the leader of the Republic of 
Turkey. 

Peres: I raised my voice. In fact my friends tell me that I have a quite voice. 
This has nothing to do with my relationship with the prime minister of the 
Republic of Turkey. I am very sorry for what happened today. 

Erdogan: I heard that you are going to hold a press conference. 

Peres: Not today, but tomorrow. 

Erdogan: If you express these sincere feelings, which I believe you will, in 
tomorrow's press conference, I assume this problem will be mostly overcome. 

Peres: Of course I will publicly express these remarks. 

Erdogan: Thank you very much for your call Mr. President. 

Peres: I thank you and wish you a nice flight. 

Peres' office issued a statement insisting that the words "I'm sorry" were 
never spoken by the president. 


Related articles: 

a.. WATCH: Turkey PM storms off stage over Peres remarks on Gaza 

a.. Erdogan: My anger over Gaza directed at Israeli government, not Jews 

a.. Israel-Turkey diplomatic spat worsens, despite end of Gaza fighting 


Kirim email ke