http://www.thejakartaglobe.com/home/indonesias-presidential-speech-fails-to-impress/391586

Indonesia's Presidential Speech Fails to Impress
Anita Rachman, Armando Siahaan & Ulma Haryanto | August 18, 2010

Jakarta. President Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono's annual State of the Nation
address marking Independence Day drew fire from political opponents and
commentators who said the speech dodged hot-button issues and failed to propose
solutions to pressing problems.

On issues ranging from education to religious tolerance and exploding liquefied
petroleum gas canisters, critics found the president's remarks lacking.

During Monday's speech before members of the House of Representatives and the
Regional Representatives Council (DPD), Yudhoyono praised the country's
economic gains and its restoration of democracy.

He said economic growth targets for 2014 would be raised from 7 percent to 7.7
percent, with 10.7 million new jobs to be created.
He also said the country would continue to fight corruption, extremism and
terrorism.

"I would like to underline the need for all of us to maintain and enhance our
brotherhood, harmony and tolerance," Yudhoyono said, without mentioning recent
attacks on some Christian churches and Ahmadiyah, an Islamic sect, by hard-line
groups - omissions that angered some opponents.

House Deputy Speaker Pramono Anung, from the opposition Indonesian Democratic
Party of Struggle (PDI-P), said the speech, delivered on the eve of the 65th
anniversary of independence, was out of touch with reality.

"The president must call for action," he said, citing the gas canister
explosions, religious intolerance and other issues. "What is happening in the
field and what the president said are different."

The Golkar Party's general secretary, Idrus Marham,said Yudhoyono had appeared
to be asking for patience.

"He was asking us to understand and appreciate his situation," he said. "I
think it's a way of saying that he acknowledges the problems we face today."

Siti Zuhro, a political observer from the Indonesian Institute of Sciences
(LIPI), said democracies needed to be accountable.

"Our leaders don't need to complain, but they do have to be open and tell
people the nation's problems so together we can work for solutions," she said.
"I didn't see much of that [in the speech]. We are not there yet."

Suparman, chairman of the Indonesian Independent Teachers Federation, said
promises to raise  public school teachers' salaries by 10 percent in the next
budget largely missed the point.

"Lots of students from poor families still can't go to school. We have enjoyed
freedom for 65 years, so why is it that some children still can't go to
school?" he said.

It was the issue of religious tolerance, however, that drew the ire of most
critics. Ismail Hasani, a researcher with the Setara Institute for Peace and
Democracy, said the president had failed to use his position to counter growing
religious intolerance.

"The president didn't need to mention a particular incident or group," he said.

"But the president should have made a statement that bluntly recognized the
country has experienced problems with freedom of religion."

Emerson Yuntho, deputy chairman of Indonesia Corruption Watch, said the
president had failed to address the issues. "The speech left an impression that
this was a presidential campaign," he said. "The people need evidence, not
promises."

Related articles

Human Rights Group Calls for Public Presidential Apology 11:38pm Aug 15, 2010

Young Flag Bearers Set Very High Standard 1:00am Aug 18, 2010

Indonesia Marks Quiet Independence Day 12:34am Aug 18, 2010

In the Market for Opinions: Vendors Weigh In on Independence 10:58pm Aug 17,
2010

Indonesia's President Wants Beefed-Up Security After Threats 6:42pm Aug 10, 2010

Kirim email ke