http://www.dailychilli.com/news/5890-woman-who-fears-bananas

Woman who fears bananas
A trip to the supermarket is fraught with danger for Fran Dando, who suffers
from bananaphobia.

She is so scared of bananas that all it needs is a glimpse of one to make her
shake, sweat profusely and even vomit.

The 21-year-old children's worker in Hastings, East Sussex in the UK suffers
from bananaphobia, an overwhelming fear of the yellow fruit.

"It began when I was seven and my brother put a banana in my bed as a joke,"
said Dando.

Yellow peril...Fran Dando suffers from bananaphobia

"I felt his horrible, slimy thing underneath my body. I was frozen in panic and
hyperventilating. Ever since then, if I see one the same feeling comes back."

She has since been forced to dodge bananas in shops and turn a blind eye to
them in the fruit bowl at friend's houses.

"I generally do not explain my fear unless a situation comes up.

"Then I will say: 'Sorry I am going to have to leave the room'. It is
embarrassing - it is such a nonsensical fear."

However, Dando's two-year-old son, Harrison, loves bananas, which has put her
in a tricky situation.

"I have to use a blanket to pick them up and put them in the trolley and then
when I am at home I have to wear rubber gloves and use a tea towel to open one
and give it to him," she said.
Source: Metro.co.uk
Image Source: Metro.co.uk/M&Y Media

Published Aug 24 2010