https://hydrogenaud.io/index.php?topic=122053.0

about E-AC3 but company's motives remained mostly same in last 25 years..

it seems Dolby wanted per-decoder license/fee, and got it... with literal
100s of millions of devices.. yeah, guess they can eat something not so
cheap.

not sure if any of this 3d audio will take off in near future, but at least
hearing some broadcast from 202x might be important.. for historical
reasons.