> I added a message to the format to state that the mkv "only works on computer
> that has vaapi capable software and hardware".  I got the same error message
> as Andrew on my AMD laptop that does not handle vaapi, but an old HP laptop
> has it working.  Not exactly sure that is the correct reason but it is all I
> could think of.
>
> if you try to re-mux vaapi-encoded h264 mp4 into mkv with ffmpeg -i file.mp4
> -c:v copy (..other params) file.mkv - does it work?

I have AMD hardware (CPU + GPU).
I tried rendering in CinGG a project in h264_vaapi/mp4. Then from
external terminal I used ffmpeg to convert the file to h264/mkv. The
conversion went well and the resulting file is viewable in mpv.

> unfortunately cin on termux segfaults with this opt file:
>  mp4 libx264 | h264_metadata=crop_left=20:crop_right=20
> # use framerate for 1 keyframe/sec, needed for seeks
> keyint_min=25
> x264-params keyint=25

I tried the opt file you suggested and it works fine. I attach the
preset. From earlier I had tried the copy/paste from your email, but
the line:
mp4 libx264 | h264_metadata=crop_left=20:crop_right=20
leads to a dump; instead by going to new line:
mp4 libx264
h264_metadata=crop_left=20:crop_right=20
it works well.