On Fri, Jan 19, 2024 at 7:54 PM Andrea paz via Cin
<cin@lists.cinelerra-gg.org> wrote:

> [...]
> they are the same thing (i.e. the shape of a single pixel, as seen
> from the image
> https://stackoverflow.com/questions/18877243/why-ffmpeg-print-sar-instead-of-par
> that you mentioned). In practice, in my opinion, the PAR in the table
> is nothing more than the SAR meant as Storage aspect ratio; in fact,
> the author of the table defines it as a Picture aspect ratio, which is
> a frame aspect ratio and not a pixel aspect ratio. It seems to me that
> in an effort to be precise, it creates even more confusion. Instead,
> the SAR in the table is nothing more than the S(ample)AR ( =
> P(ixel)AR). If you think I am crazy to keep up with these definitions,
> you are right!
>
> The formula DAR = PAR x SAR was convenient and simple, however, ffmpeg
> decided to use "samples" instead of pixels and so PAR should no longer
> be used. That is why I was thinking of removing all reference to PAR.
> The trouble is that if one searches around one always finds PAR and
> never SAR meant as "sample a.r."; including many tutorials on ffmpeg.
>
> The sample concept is derived from analog video signals and is encoded
> in the standards BT. 601 and Digital. It refers to horizontal scan
> lines (in MHz) and not simply pixels. From Wikipedia: "analog video
> does not have pixels, but rather a raster scan, and thus has a
> well-defined vertical resolution (the lines of the raster), but not a
> well-defined horizontal resolution, since each line is an analog
> signal." S(ample)AR was created precisely to adapt the analog concept
> to the digital world.
>
> To further explore the concept of sample:
> https://web.archive.org/web/20140816103129/http://lipas.uwasa.fi/~f76998/video/conversion/
>
> Your definition of SAR as a correction factor is right and I will use
> it in txt. Thank you for the cue.
>
> To summarize: in the digital domain we can use the concept of
> S(ample)AR when we are dealing with digital anamorphic formats (for
> example, when transcoding to a format that has different aspect
> ratio). But the most frequent use is in "standard-definition
> television or with DV, HDV and a few other formats. SAR is used via
> the formula DAR = SAR x (W/H), where SAR is the conversion factor
> between anamorphic Input and Output.
>
> Perhaps the clearest treatment is as follows:
> https://encodingwissen.de/hintergrund/videobild/anamorph/itu-r-bt601/
>
> It is in German and therefore needs to be translated (the Italian
> translation is not very good...). They seem to me to be similar
> concepts to Raffaella Traniello's guide.
>
> As an additional (my) confusion, in CinGG we also have the W/H Ratio
> parameters, which are simple multipliers but, if set only one of them
> (with values of the classic aspect ratios, 4:3; 16:9, etc.) and
> leaving the other one at 1, they act as a real SAR even though they
> are not...
>
> @Andrew
> In CinGG/Info-->Detail is the data reported taken using ffmpeg?

yes, by same equations as  ffprobe does, hopefully

> In other words: does CinGG use SAR like ffmpeg or does it have an even
> different way?

It only written/named like this there because we must interface with ffmpeg ...

> PS: In my opinion, it would be better to change W/H Ratio to "W/H multiplier"

if whole line still fit window .... why not. Just ... you see we have
new explainer right there. Old tutorials will be confusing if we
change this element