"When camera is operating, the EIP generates uncompressed 1440x1080i with
a 4:2:2 color space. Digital 4:2:2 data are output via the HDMI port,
while 4:2:2 analog is output via component out. Therefore you can record
4.2:2 live HD cideo from the camera without MPEG-2 compression.
----
portable disk like the Sony HVR-DR60 HDV Hard Disk Recorder. I looked
through the menues on FX7, but I wasn't able to discover anything related
to optional hard disk recording, though I guess it will work as well as
for V1.

This is second hand information because my HDV camera is still in the shop. I'm waiting for 1080p :)

Anyway. there is program called mpegrab or similar which can grab trough firewire the uncompressed video. The need of mpegcompression comes from the DV-media which can't handle the stream without it.

I've seen this work with my friend when he shot a scene Sony Vaio in his pocket grabbing the scene. He is real gear geek.

Or am I now giving totally wrong advices? The HDMI confuses me a bit.

The CityDisk (the second link in my inital post above) is also claimed to
be able to record in DV format at the same time as HDV is recorded on
If you are playing a 1080i HDV tape, the 4:2:0 MPEG-2 is decoded and
chroma up-scaled to a 4:2:2. The HDMI chip downscales 1440 to 1280 while
it up-scales 540 to 720. The result is 720p which is output via HDMI."

Be sure to check the firmware of Citydisk. Some work, some don't. I believe this information can be digged from various webforums.

Hannu Vuolasaho