I've updates the nvidia display drivers yesterday on my wifes machine
and found out that the recent driver has some hefty
regressions/instability/performance problems. IIRC someone else reported
problems with cinelerra some time ago, so I just want to notify anyone
about this problem (it might not happen on your hardware, please send
feedback).

We have a cheap GeForce 7300 GS card here, on a 64bit Debian etch,
Athlon64 Dualcore.

I tried following versions:
NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-100.14.19-pkg2.run [stable stable]
NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-100.14.23-pkg2.run [beta version]

where cinelerra was sometimes quite sluggish, using Xv in xine or
mplayer crashed the machine sometimes. Generally the display freezed for
few seconds sometimes just using gnome desktop (no gl/no xv).

After some googleing I found out that that other people have similar
problems and some hat succes by downgrading to:
NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-100.14.09-pkg2.run

I tried that too, and ..tadaa.. it works!

Again this does not mean that the driver is buggy for anyone and that
you shall downgrade when it works for you, but when you have similar
problems please try a downgrade and report if it improved the situation.
Next, whenever nvidia releases a new driver, please notify the list when
this bugs got fixed for you, thanks.

        Christian