Hi.

On Mon, Sep 19, 2011 at 9:43 PM, Paul Taggart <ptagg...@cinci.rr.com> wrote:
> I'm a bit confused, why release an new release of Cinelerra with a version
> of ffmpeg that's 3 or 4 releases out of date? Version 0.4.9 is so far away
> from the current 0.8.2 that most of the ffmpeg functions no longer exist. I
> will build a new patch to work with 0.8.x but a decision needs to be made to
> either abandon or upgrade the internal ffmpeg because the amount of changes
> make supporting both obsolete and current versions impractical.

Cinelerra must support multiple versions of ffmpeg at least through
conditional compiling. FFmpeg is 'solution to record, convert and
stream audio and video' (from homepage). It is not optimized for
editing. It is possible with certain amount of work to use it in an
editor.

I want an answer to question what is better for cinelerra in newer
versions of ffmpeg. Cinelerra does not use very much of ffmpeg - do
the improvements in ffmpeg affect cinelerra?

I have never been a great fan of upgrading to newer version. Recently
I had a major crash at work just because of upgrade.

I have impression that ffmpeg is not very good in frame exact seeking
and this is not the goal of ffmpeg. Cinelerra needs exact seeking.

If you have time to look at the cinelerra-ffmpeg relationships, please do it

Einar

Einar