Am Thu, 16 Jan 2014 05:24:43 -0500
schrieb jankomEarthlink <jan...@earthlink.net>:

> I'm also willing to support Cinelerra with $25 since I have used the
> software in the past and appreciate volunteer work of software
> experts. I also believe in the concept of free software and Linux in
> general as opposed to closed systems like Vindooz.

Thanks I'll accept the pledge and send you payment details in a private
mail.

> I also have a suggestion or question. Are you guys aware of FSF (Free
> Software Foundation - http://www.fsf.org/ )? You may be able to
> register with them and obtain the required support (server space for
> version storage, mailing list, etc.). I have been supporting them
> with a yearly donation as my primary commitment to open source, free,
> community developed and constantly improved software. I believe this
> would be the primary means of supporting cash expenditures of open
> source software volunteers, rather than sending contributions to
> individuals, separate organizations.

We once decided to run our own server to have more flexible hosting
solutions (own Mailinglist, git hosting (wasn't common that time), ..)

Meanwhile we need responsible people/admins who care for the project
and this stuff. Raffa suggested to move to some free bugtracker/project
hoster (launchpad/sourceforge/github ...whatever).

I do not see how such a move will benefit the project. Its true that
little less administrative tasks need to be done then, but still the
project needs people who care. Plenty of such free software project
hosts have massive spam problems, sourceforge turned into an
advertisement trove etc. Hosting it at the FSF would  be more
politically correct, but only solve a few adminstrative problems
while not the problem that people need to be devoted to the project
and care for it.

Moreover I've always payed for the server and would not take it down
because its not payed, i just asked for money because i feel it would
be ok if this (little) burden is shared and people can help there and i
am surprised about the massive positive responses last days.

The Server itself hosts some other projects and has to be payed
anyways. When cinelerra would move away (yet alone I don't see anyone
who will reliably organize this move till the end). I still have to
pay for the server and maybe search for some other project/person wo
wants to take over this hosting-slot (IP address etc) and pay his
share. Conclusion for me is that it would be more trouble for
cinelerra and for me when it moves away.

        Christian