Jesse, I had looked into doing that as well. The only problem is that the 2800 series of routers does not support pppoe connections on a sub interface. Only on a full l3 interface or an atm wic.
Dan. Jesse Alexander wrote: > Hello Dan, > > Thanks a lot! > > I think that a multilayer switch could be very helpful to you. You > can put the four DSL connections on the switch on one vlan, and make > the connection to the 2801 a trunk. Or you can put each DSL line on > its own VLAN and determine on the 2801 who/what accesses which DSL > line via VLANs. Cisco 3550 switches are EOL, but you can probably get > one at a reasonable price, and they are multilayer switches. > > Here is the data sheet on the 3550 series: > > http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps646/products_data_sheet09186a00800913d7.html > > > > The 3550 is just an example. There are tons of multilayer switches, > and although I prefer Cisco, I have heard some decent things about HP > Procurve mulilayer switches, and they are much less expensive. > > Sample configs as to what I am thinking about (they are not full > configs, but basic enough that will work): > > <<<<< SAMPLE ONE >>>>> > > conf t > vlan database > vlan10 name DSL_VLAN > exit > ! > conf t > Interface Loopback0 > ip address [public IP and subnet mask of the single public IP address > you get] > no shut > ! > int fa0/1 > description DSL1 > switchport mode access vlan10 > no shut > ! > int fa0/2 > description DSL2 > switchport mode access vlan10 > no shut > ! > int fa0/3 > description DSL3 > switchport mode access vlan10 > no shut > ! > int fa0/4 > description DSL4 > switchport mode access vlan10 > no shut > ! > int fa0/5 > description trunk to 2801 > switchport mode trunk > switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q > switchport trunk allowed vlan 10 > no shut > end > > <<<<< SAMPLE TWO >>>>> > > or ... you can have each DSL line with its own VLAN to manage what > traffic goes out each (you would designate this via VLANs on the 2801): > > conf t > vlan database > vlan10 name DSL1 > vlan20 name DSL2 > vlan30 name DSL3 > vlan40 name DSL4 > exit > ! > conf t > Interface Loopback0 > ip address [public IP and subnet mask of the single public IP address > you get] > no shut > ! > int fa0/1 > description DSL1 > switchport mode access vlan10 > no shut > ! > int fa0/2 > description DSL2 > switchport mode access vlan20 > no shut > ! > int fa0/3 > description DSL3 > switchport mode access vlan30 > no shut > ! > int fa0/4 > description DSL4 > switchport mode access vlan40 > no shut > ! > int fa0/5 > description trunk to 2801 > switchport mode trunk > switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q > switchport trunk allowed vlan 10,20,30,40 > no shut > end > > Just make sure VTP is set to transparent ;) > show vtp status > > Sincerely, > > Jesse > > > > ----- Original Message ----- From: "Dan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> > To: "Jesse Alexander" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>; > <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> > Sent: Thursday, April 12, 2007 9:04 AM > Subject: Re: [c-nsp] 827 router as 'DMZ' > > >> Let me see if I can paint a better picture. >> >> I work for a school district and each school that is accessing the >> internet from this particular location gets routed out a particular >> dsl line according to usage stats. So right now the 2801 is setup to >> do pbr to each of the linux dsl routers that I have behind it. The >> linux dsl routers are connecting to my isp through the modems >> provided. The linux dsl routers are standard workstations converted >> to do pppoe/nat/routing/queueing. I would like to simplify this >> configuration with some kind of cisco hardware. The reason I have 4 >> dsl lines is because there is nothing else available in my location. >> I now have the 827 working and I have replaced one of the linux boxes >> and modems with that unit instead. This will be a little better but >> I would have like to use the 2801 to do everything. >> >> Dan. >> >> Jesse Alexander wrote: >>> Hello Dan, >>> >>> How are the four DSL lines delivered to you? Are they providing >>> some kind of 'modem' that all four terminate on, or are you dealing >>> with four DSL modems, or otherwise? I haven't worked with multiple >>> commercial DSL lines previously. I mainly work with T1's, T3's, >>> OC3's, etc.. lol. But with some clarification, we can find a way >>> for standard networking to do its thing :) >>> >>> You say that you want to use the 2801 to NAT. What network goals >>> are you trying to acheive? I believe if I can understand the bigger >>> picture I can be more helpful. >>> >>> Does your ISP require you to authenicate for your DSL connections? >>> >>> Sorry for all my questions. >>> >>> Sincerely, >>> >>> Jesse >>> >>> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Dan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> >>> To: "Jesse Alexander" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>; >>> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> >>> Sent: Wednesday, April 11, 2007 11:58 AM >>> Subject: Re: [c-nsp] 827 router as 'DMZ' >>> >>> >>>> Jesse, >>>> >>>> I only have one external IP. So it looks like I'm stuck with >>>> having nat on the 827. What I really wanted to do is to have all >>>> four of my dsl lines terminated on the 2801 router with the hwic >>>> 4esw. I have explored that option and it will not work because of >>>> a limitation of the hwic. So I was looking for a cheaper solution >>>> that would allow me to use the 827 router as a pppoe termination >>>> point and then I was going to use the 2801 for nat. >>>> >>>> Do you know of any other cheap solution that would work to >>>> terminate 4 dsl lines and use the 2801 router for nat? >>>> >>>> Thanks, >>>> Dan. >>>> >>>> Jesse Alexander wrote: >>>>> Hi Dan, >>>>> >>>>> If you have a public /30 IP range available to use, then easiest >>>>> way is to assign e0 one IP and the other router's directly >>>>> connected interface the other usable IP, such as: >>>>> >>>>> int e0 >>>>> ip address 209.126.2.1 255.255.255.252 >>>>> >>>>> On other router: >>>>> >>>>> int [insert] >>>>> ip address 209.126.2.2 255.255.252 >>>>> >>>>> That way, the two are directly connected and therefore know how to >>>>> route to each other. You can then use NAT on the 2801. >>>>> >>>>> Otherwise, you can use private IP's between the two, but NAT will >>>>> be needed on the 827. >>>>> >>>>> Kinda hard not knowing what assets you have available to you for >>>>> IPs and such. >>>>> >>>>> What would be best is if you had, say, a public /29 netblock from >>>>> your ISP. That gives you 6 usable IPs. Have them set the 1st >>>>> usable for your 827's interface that connects to your ISP's modem >>>>> via mac address of your 827 (depending on how your ISP does that >>>>> ... mine needs the mac address of my router, which is a 851). >>>>> >>>>> Then assign e0 the next available IP, and the 2801's interface >>>>> that directly connects to the 827 then next IP available in the >>>>> series of IPs you are allocated. >>>>> >>>>> I realize I have an 851 verses your 827, but I am certain that >>>>> what you want to do can be done. >>>>> >>>>> I can be of more help if I know more specifics. >>>>> >>>>> Sincerely, >>>>> >>>>> Jesse >>>>> >>>>> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Dan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> >>>>> Cc: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> >>>>> Sent: Tuesday, April 10, 2007 2:19 PM >>>>> Subject: [c-nsp] 827 router as 'DMZ' >>>>> >>>>> >>>>>> Hello, >>>>>> >>>>>> I'm wondering if anyone has been able to setup an 827 router as a >>>>>> DMZ >>>>>> router. What I would like to be able to do is have this box >>>>>> connecting >>>>>> to my ISP via PPPoE, then have the box forward all traffic >>>>>> through the >>>>>> e0 interface into a port on my 2801 router where I would setup >>>>>> nat. Is >>>>>> this possible with this 827 router? >>>>>> >>>>>> Thanks, >>>>>> Dan. >>>>>> >>>>>> _______________________________________________ >>>>>> cisco-nsp mailing list [EMAIL PROTECTED] >>>>>> https://puck.nether.net/mailman/listinfo/cisco-nsp >>>>>> archive at http://puck.nether.net/pipermail/cisco-nsp/ >>>>>> >>>>> >>>> >>>> >>>> >>> >> >> >> > _______________________________________________ cisco-nsp mailing list [EMAIL PROTECTED] https://puck.nether.net/mailman/listinfo/cisco-nsp archive at http://puck.nether.net/pipermail/cisco-nsp/
