It depends on the type of customer, for residential DSL I tend to count them in a 100:1 over subscription bucket. Business DSL is 10:1 but their usage patterns are different. I sell bandwidth to some local colleges and they are 1:1, they buy 30mbps, they use 99% of that 80% of the time. One college recently went from 30mbps to 50mbps (delivered via GigE) they immediately filled the 50mbps as soon as I increased the policing rate. I'm sure they would fill 100 or 200mbps if I opened up their port that much.
Think of it as bytes/day instead of bits per second. Your average customers usage isn't going to change. They will still play their online games (constant PPS), they will still download their iTunes (bytes/day). If you give them more bandwidth they will just do it in less time. You can only download so many movies AND watch them in a day. If they are doing file sharing then all bets are off but they are few and far between (in my network anyway). If you're big enough look at getting some Akamai boxes inside your network. My Akamai boxes save me roughly 10-15% of my bandwidth upstream. Watching NBC shows (The Black Donnelly's) online from my house (ADSL) streams from the Akamai boxes in my office kinda neat, I like being a network geek. My wife just looks at me funny. -Matt -- Matthew S. Crocker President Crocker Communications, Inc. Internet Division PO BOX 710 Greenfield, MA 01302-0710 http://www.crocker.com _______________________________________________ cisco-nsp mailing list [email protected] https://puck.nether.net/mailman/listinfo/cisco-nsp archive at http://puck.nether.net/pipermail/cisco-nsp/
