Nassess, George wrote: > I am in the process of extending our distributed VoIP call center to a > partner company, and their networking staff are extremely adamant that > they do not wish to implement QoS on their remote LAN, the DS3 link that > the voice traffic will traverse, or the core LAN in our shared > datacenter. I am fairly well aware of the arguments on both sides of the > debate of Mr. QoS (me) versus Mr. Excess bandwidth (them) but I wanted > to know if there is anyone on the list who has actually deployed an > enterprise VoIP solution without QoS, and whether the deployment was > successful as an ongoing solution or if QoS had to be added at a later > date.
Excess bandwidth does not always guarantee good voice quality. If you just want something that "works", then sure, excess bandwidth may prevent your calls from clipping or dropping. Howoever it depends if your target is carrier grade voice calls or "it just works". Carrier grade voice calls insure that packetloss is none or nil and that jitter is in an acceptable range where it does not cause audible problems. That means that per hop latency does not exceed 10ms per and that one way is no more than ~100-150ms. You can have all the excess bandwidth in the world, but bursty traffic over a shared link without priority/LLQ will cause jitter and audible noise in a VoIP call. It all depends on how much the end users can tolerate. As for Vonage, that's a service that "just works". Nobody uses Vonage because the voice quality is "super", it's just acceptable. I'm sure compared to a cell call, it sounds great! ;-) -- Robert Blayzor, BOFH INOC, LLC rblayzor\@(inoc.net|gmail.com) PGP: 0x66F90BFC @ http://pgp.mit.edu Key fingerprint = 6296 F715 038B 44C1 2720 292A 8580 500E 66F9 0BFC I do not fear computers. I fear the lack of them. - Isaac Asimov _______________________________________________ cisco-nsp mailing list [email protected] https://puck.nether.net/mailman/listinfo/cisco-nsp archive at http://puck.nether.net/pipermail/cisco-nsp/
