Ted Mittelstaedt wrote: > I don't see how that could be the case since the SmartNet package is > selected by the router chassis, not what cards are in it. I think what > you meant to say is that Cisco won't renew the HARDWARE coverage of > SmartNet on the NPE300, but SmartNet contains two components - hardware > coverage, and IOS update rights - and Cisco will happily renew smartnet > forever. Of course, once they stop releasing new IOS for a particular > chassis it is kind of pointless to keep paying the renewals.
It absolutely covers the cards inside the chassis, and if your purchase your 7200's from Cisco, as configured, they know exactly what you have purchased. If you have an NPE-300 (or any other EoL card that effects the core operation of the product) they'll not allow you to renew the Smartnet until you get the router back under something they can support. Trust me, I know. I had seven 7200 NPE-300's I had to upgrade to NPE-Gx's this year to get them back under support. They would not renew them because they knew that we purchasd them originally with NPE-300's in them. That wasn't the only reason for the upgrades, but is part of the reason. Your claims above is also not true. Case in point, Cisco EoL the NPE-300. There's no sense in renewing your Smartnet as they've completely stopped supporting the NPE-300 both hardware wise and on new software releases. The "ok it boots, lets use it" doesn't mean they support it if you start having a problem. -- Robert Blayzor, BOFH INOC, LLC rblayzor\@(inoc.net|gmail.com) PGP: 0x66F90BFC @ http://pgp.mit.edu Key fingerprint = 6296 F715 038B 44C1 2720 292A 8580 500E 66F9 0BFC Never trust a program unless you have the source. _______________________________________________ cisco-nsp mailing list [email protected] https://puck.nether.net/mailman/listinfo/cisco-nsp archive at http://puck.nether.net/pipermail/cisco-nsp/
