Hi Paul, I would suggest that you stay away from NAT.
- Just get a pair of Cisco CSS1150x which will provide exactly what you need, i.e layer 4 loadbalancing the quick and easy way. They also sells as linecards which may fit within your 65xx if you got some free slots. - If you can't, just implement Multicast-NLB onto your servers. This is a crappy MS technology since it makes use of multicast Mac-address, and waste a bit of bandwith (Nowadays, with these 10Gigs LANs...), but it's the cheapest solution I know to achieve what you need without dedicated appliances. Ubercheapest might also exist in the GNU/BSD world but I dunno any. jc Selon Paul Stewart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>: > Hi folks... > > I've been reading about SLB and have a quick question I think.... > > We have a pair of servers that will be providing SMTP/POP3/DNS - the data > between the two are replicated in real-time. The plan is to give each > server a real IP address and then serve traffic in an active/standby > configuration. The servers are within the same subnet and there are several > other servers in the same subnet that must communicate with them. > > Running NAT we'll presume is NOT an option in this setup. The two servers > are directly connected to a Catalyst 6500 running native IOS (sup2/msfc2) > > My question(s) are: > > Is there a way to have SLB answer a virtual address that is forwarded to the > real IP of *one* of the servers while maintaining an active/standy > configuration? The docs only talk about load balancing itself..... > > I understand that with NAT you can do this but without NAT the options are > much more limited? > > If we plugin each server to a seperate 6500, and run NAT - does this > complicate matters or matter at all? The obvious solution is to do this on > the servers themselves > > Thanks in advance, > > Paul > > _______________________________________________ > cisco-nsp mailing list [email protected] > https://puck.nether.net/mailman/listinfo/cisco-nsp > archive at http://puck.nether.net/pipermail/cisco-nsp/ > _______________________________________________ cisco-nsp mailing list [email protected] https://puck.nether.net/mailman/listinfo/cisco-nsp archive at http://puck.nether.net/pipermail/cisco-nsp/
