You can't do it without PE QOS on the last hop PE-CE connection. If you are *only* getting spoke traffic from a hub (meaning it's a hub and spoke simulated over a multipoint MPLS/VPN topology) you could do "per spoke shaping" but that has scale issues.
Rodney On Thu, Oct 18, 2007 at 08:24:32AM -0400, Patrick Greene wrote: > You are correct..the topology is > > hub -- PE -- (mpls) -- PE -- spoke > > If I set a policy on the hub router to guarantee 10Mbps for LOB applications > outbound towards the MPLS cloud and if I am telling my spoke router to > guarantee 512Kbps for LOB application outbound towards the MPLS cloud then > outbound I am all set. However, for inbound LOB traffic on the spoke router > the hub (set at 10Mbps) can send more than 512Kbps of LOB traffic and > consume the T1 inbound. On my spoke router, should I be setting my > bandwidth guarantees inbound from the MPLS instead out towards the MPLS? > > Basically I want to gurantee 512Kbps of traffic for LOB apps in and out of > each spoke. I don't have subinterfaces at the hub for each site to apply > policies to so I am stuck with an aggregate policy...or so it seems. > > Am I making sense here? > > > Thanks for your input. > > > -----Original Message----- > From: Oliver Boehmer (oboehmer) [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] > Sent: Thursday, October 18, 2007 3:02 AM > To: Patrick Greene; [email protected] > Subject: RE: [c-nsp] QoS Design Question > > Patrick Greene <> wrote on Wednesday, October 17, 2007 11:45 PM: > > > Thanks for any contributions here. > > > > > > > > This is hypothetical and not production. Assume a single company with > > hundreds of remote sites. With today's MPLS environments you have > > 100's of sites(T1's) coming back into a single physical > > interface(DS3) on the router. I am applying my QoS policies outbound > > on my core router interface to manage my 3 classes of traffic: > > voice,LOB apps, and default. The voice gets 5Mbps, LOB applications > > get 10Mbps on and default gets the rest. The remote sites all have > > T1's and I allocate 128Kbps to voice, 512MB to Signaling and LOB > > applications, and default for all other apps. This too is applied > > outbound on the serial interface. How do I keep the default > > applications from overrunning the INBOUND LOB applications. Do I > > need to apply my QoS policy inbound on the Serial interface instead > > of outbound? Won't that affect VOIP quality if I don't have outbound > > policies. > > not sure if I understand the topology and the problem. Assuming you have > > hub -- PE -- (mpls) -- PE -- spoke > > you apply outgoing policies on the hub->PE and on the PE->spoke as well > as on the spoke->PE and PE->hub direction (and obviously within the MPLS > cloud), you will be able to protect voice, won't you? Not sure what you > mean by "overrunning the INBOUND LOB"? > > oli > > _______________________________________________ > cisco-nsp mailing list [email protected] > https://puck.nether.net/mailman/listinfo/cisco-nsp > archive at http://puck.nether.net/pipermail/cisco-nsp/ _______________________________________________ cisco-nsp mailing list [email protected] https://puck.nether.net/mailman/listinfo/cisco-nsp archive at http://puck.nether.net/pipermail/cisco-nsp/
