Thanks everyone for the responses. What I am gathering is that I should move all remaining high-bandwidth customer connections to a 6500 (or another hardware-based L3 switch) and make use of the additional L2 features available on those platforms.
If anyone is curious, the specific device I "lost" is a 7206VXR/300. The customer is uplinked via a 100Mb VLAN trunked into the router with some others on a PA-FE-TX (historical reasons behind this particular setup). I ran this scenario again in a test lab - the port got as high as 14.5kpps (while the switch was offering 89Mbps/68kpps). With CoPP turned on, the highest ranking process is Net Input at about 6%. CPU stays at 99%, console response is iffy, and practically no response over IP (can ping router but can't telnet to it, can't pass other traffic through). With CoPP turned off, the highest ranking process is IP Input at about 18%, and I can't even ping the router. In other words, CoPP doesn't save the platform. Thanks again, Michael _______________________________________________ cisco-nsp mailing list [email protected] https://puck.nether.net/mailman/listinfo/cisco-nsp archive at http://puck.nether.net/pipermail/cisco-nsp/
