I've heard rumors that Cisco is going to supplant this product with the ACE product; does everything the CSM does but virtualizes the "server farm" config.
Regards, Ge Moua | Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED] Network Design Engineer University of Minnesota | Networking & Telecommunications Services -----Original Message----- From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Ross Vandegrift Sent: Monday, April 07, 2008 2:20 PM To: [email protected] Subject: [c-nsp] CSM for service providers Hello everyone, I'm looking to solicit some input from others that are using the Cisco CSM, in particular, service providers that are using it to host layer 4-7 switching for customers. The archives don't seem to have a ton of opinions on these guys. In general, I like the device's performance and scalability. I have actually seen them handle a million simultaneous sessions, and I've seen VIPs with 900+k sessions cause no impact to other VIPs. However, we're run into some issues that are a bit troublesome: 1) Fault-tolerance is a feature that was obviously tacked-on after the fact. Config sync is slow process that interacts badly with other IOS features like SNMP. We've been reduced to manually syncing all configs because of IOS crash risk associated with config-sync. 2) The documentation is awful. I have read pretty much everything Cisco has published and some that hasn't been published. There's more undocumented features to this device than there are documented features! Has anyone found any good resources? I've read the configuration guide, Designing Content Switching solutions, Content Network Fundamentals, and some random MS Word files I've been emailed from TAC. They are all crappy. 3) There's a general mystery surrounding the CSM - it's incredibly difficult to get decent answers to fairly simple questions. In short - I basically like the CSM, but I'm questioning it's long-term viability right now. Any input would be greatly appreciated. -- Ross Vandegrift [EMAIL PROTECTED] "The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell." --St. Augustine, De Genesi ad Litteram, Book II, xviii, 37 _______________________________________________ cisco-nsp mailing list [email protected] https://puck.nether.net/mailman/listinfo/cisco-nsp archive at http://puck.nether.net/pipermail/cisco-nsp/ _______________________________________________ cisco-nsp mailing list [email protected] https://puck.nether.net/mailman/listinfo/cisco-nsp archive at http://puck.nether.net/pipermail/cisco-nsp/
