Yeah, if you know a bit of perl, you can whip something up that goes
through the IP space, does an snmp get on system.sysName.0, and if it
responds write that data out to a .csv

That would get you the hostname to IP mappings. 

Ken Matlock
Network Analyst
(303) 467-4671
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Adam Armstrong
Sent: Friday, April 18, 2008 7:41 AM
To: Arne Larsen / Region Nordjylland
Cc: [email protected]
Subject: Re: [c-nsp] vs scanning tool for uknown network units

Arne Larsen / Region Nordjylland wrote:
> Hi Folks
>
> Can anyone help me out here, I've hit a dead lock.
> My problem is I need to implement HP Open View, but the guys from HP
have told me that this can't be done before all network units are in
DNS.
> Now my problem is, nobody in the company   I've joined, have a
complete list over the network units, neither address nor DNS name.
> The network documentation is a total mess, and no one knows what's up
or down,
> Is there a scanning tool available for such a purpose?  I've used nmap
but I can't seem to be able to get the real information out. Many
switches are routing and using vrf lite, so I can't see what the
management interface is and what is just a normal VLAN.
>   
Do you know all of the address space used in the network?

Do they have predictable SNMP communities?

You could scan the entire address space for devices which reply to SNMP 
on one of the known SNMP communities?

adam.
_______________________________________________
cisco-nsp mailing list  [email protected]
https://puck.nether.net/mailman/listinfo/cisco-nsp
archive at http://puck.nether.net/pipermail/cisco-nsp/
_______________________________________________
cisco-nsp mailing list  [email protected]
https://puck.nether.net/mailman/listinfo/cisco-nsp
archive at http://puck.nether.net/pipermail/cisco-nsp/

Reply via email to