On Mon, 5 May 2008, Paul Stewart wrote: > With a 6500 Catalyst, regular line cards, and Sup720-3BXL - what can you NOT > do with MPLS on these chassis? Is it "just" VPLS that requires an OSM card > or a FlexWAN card for example? > > We are working on a project where MPLS may come into play .. VPLS would be a > nice option to throw in but not 100% necessary. Today, these are 6500's > with Sup2/MSFC2 which I'm told are pretty much useless for anything MPLS > oriented....
I'm not sure about MPLS limitations in the Sup2/MSFC2, but it wouldn't surprise me if they're pretty major since those engines are much more software driven and have substantially lower forwarding capabilities than the Sup720/3BXL. The 3BXL does MPLS just fine, but I'm not running it in a 'true' service provider environment. We run MPLS using LDP to distribute labels to some non-Cisco gear and terminate Martini tunnels and that seems to work pretty cleanly, although the hair-pinning needed to land a Martini tunnel is somewhat strange... jms _______________________________________________ cisco-nsp mailing list [email protected] https://puck.nether.net/mailman/listinfo/cisco-nsp archive at http://puck.nether.net/pipermail/cisco-nsp/
