On May 7, 2008, at 10:37 AM, Jeff Fitzwater wrote: > We currently have two FWSM running 3.2 and are awaiting new code to > fix some transparent mode issues.
I would like to know what you're seeing. > The rumor I heard is that CISCO will only have one more release of > FWSM code and thats it; No more FWSM, the future will only be the > ASA. Your account team would likely know more, but in my opinion, 5 years without a hardware refresh sure seems awful damning about the platform's future. Sure there might be another software release to attempt to breathe life-support into those network processors, but there is going to be a finite limit as to what they can and can not do (example: ginormous ACL's, IPv6, handling huge flows without significant hackery). I would expect there will be a strong motivation to develop software for and sell you shinny new ASA 5580-40's instead of fwsm. > The FWSM isn't that old, maybe 2-3 years. We got our 1st one in early 2003. > I thought the FWSM was the latest and greatest and came from > the ASA. The FWSM is sort of it's own beast, with hardware assist from network processors. The ASA is truly a next-gen PIX. Dale _______________________________________________ cisco-nsp mailing list [email protected] https://puck.nether.net/mailman/listinfo/cisco-nsp archive at http://puck.nether.net/pipermail/cisco-nsp/
