Thanks for all of the suggestions. One thing I see is when someone ask for help and they report back that it's fixed but they don't say what they ended up doing to fix the problem.
So here is what seems to work. I threw out the following: rate-limit input access-group 150 3000000 16000 24000 conform-action transmit exceed-action drop rate-limit output access-group 150 3000000 16000 24000 conform-action transmit exceed-action drop Then I added: traffic-shape group 150 3000000 75000 75000 1000 then in my access-list I added: access-list 150 permit ip x.x.10.71 host any in addition to: access-list 150 permit ip host x.x.10.71 any Now the bandwidth hogs are at the 3Mb they are paying for and the sales guys have stopped knocking on my door. Thanks for the help Richey -----Original Message----- From: Mike Louis [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Sent: Monday, May 19, 2008 9:05 AM To: Lincoln Dale; Richey Cc: [email protected] Subject: RE: [c-nsp] access-list speed limiting. I had this problem with policing using the standard MQC in 3550s. I had to adjust the burst size until I got the speed that I wanted. Burst size greatly affects overall throughput you can achieve. You need to figure out your throughput, say 3000000 and divide that by your policing interval, can't recall what it is for CAR but lets say its 1/100, and you get 30000 bits per interval. You may have to convert that to bytes so divide by 8 and you get your burst size for that data rate. HTH mike CCO has some write ups on policing and intervals. Do a search for "leaky bucket". -----Original Message----- From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Lincoln Dale Sent: Monday, May 19, 2008 7:23 AM To: Richey Cc: [email protected] Subject: Re: [c-nsp] access-list speed limiting. Richey wrote: > I am trying to limit them to 3Mb down 3Mb up. When I am testing I am > seeing full speed both directions. I did have some success by changing my > access-list 150 permit ip host x.x.10.71 any to access-list 150 permit ip > any host x.x.10.71 you will need BOTH of the above if you want to enforce both directions. > but I end up with about 1Mb of traffic instead of 3Mb. > that is about right. policing compared to shaping, see http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/105/policevsshape.html cheers, lincoln. _______________________________________________ cisco-nsp mailing list [email protected] https://puck.nether.net/mailman/listinfo/cisco-nsp archive at http://puck.nether.net/pipermail/cisco-nsp/ Note: This message and any attachments is intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to which it is addressed and may contain information that is non-public, proprietary, legally privileged, confidential, and/or exempt from disclosure. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any use, dissemination, distribution, or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify the original sender immediately by telephone or return email and destroy or delete this message along with any attachments immediately. _______________________________________________ cisco-nsp mailing list [email protected] https://puck.nether.net/mailman/listinfo/cisco-nsp archive at http://puck.nether.net/pipermail/cisco-nsp/
