Yes, the router should act as a fully functional DHCP server.  You just need to 
setup the pools for the remote networks and ip helper the requests to it.

>From the Cisco docs -- "The Cisco IOS DHCP server can accept broadcasts from 
>locally attached LAN segments or from DHCP requests that have been forwarded 
>by other DHCP relay agents within the network."

There are some advanced options available if you want to get fancy. =)

This explains it better than I:  
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/ipaddr/configuration/guide/iad_dhcp_svr_cfg.html#wp1122709

I hope this is what you were looking for.

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Chad Whitten
Sent: Monday, May 19, 2008 8:12 AM
To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: [c-nsp] cisco ios dhcp server

No, I'm familiar with those commands, thats what I would use on a
remote Cisco router to forward the DHCP requests up to a central DHCP
server.

My question is, can the IOS DHCP server respond to requests relayed to
it by another router?

On Mon, May 19, 2008 at 9:12 AM, Whisper <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Chad, this is what you are probably looking for
>
> http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/12_1/iproute/command/reference/1rdipadr.html#wp1018606
>
> ip helper-address & ip forward-protocol
>
> Cheers
>
> On Mon, May 19, 2008 at 11:54 PM, Chad Whitten <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:
>>
>> I have used the Cisco IOS DHCP server before but only to serve subnets
>> and vlans that are local to the router/switch.  Can the IOS DHCP
>> server handle DHCP requests from outside the local network (relayed to
>> it via another router)?  I realize this would require additional
>> network pools and such on the Cisco, just wondering if it can be done
>> as I would with a Unix ISC DHCP server?
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> --
>> Chad Whitten
>> Metro Network Solutions
>> (601) 366-6630 Phone
>> (601) 366-6066 Fax
>> (601) 842-6804 Cellular
>> [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>> _______________________________________________
>> cisco-nsp mailing list  [email protected]
>> https://puck.nether.net/mailman/listinfo/cisco-nsp
>> archive at http://puck.nether.net/pipermail/cisco-nsp/
>
>



--
Chad Whitten
Metro Network Solutions
(601) 366-6630 Phone
(601) 366-6066 Fax
(601) 842-6804 Cellular
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
_______________________________________________
cisco-nsp mailing list  [email protected]
https://puck.nether.net/mailman/listinfo/cisco-nsp
archive at http://puck.nether.net/pipermail/cisco-nsp/

_______________________________________________
cisco-nsp mailing list  [email protected]
https://puck.nether.net/mailman/listinfo/cisco-nsp
archive at http://puck.nether.net/pipermail/cisco-nsp/

Reply via email to