ATM does not use link-layer addressing persay, and has no multicast support, so in RFC2492 (IPv6 over ATM) the NA does not include a "link- layer" option, which is what you are seeing in the debug messages. That would normally carry the link layer address for the lower layer protocol to use to reach that node, but the IPV6 over LLC/SNAP doesn't have support for it. Since you are using RBE I would think it would be something like IPv6 over 802.3 over ATM, and it would work but maybe the Cisco doesn't create/process the IPv6 messages that way on the interface... My guess at this point is you may be left with manual configuration...

Phil


On Jun 11, 2008, at 6:42 AM, Bas Roos wrote:

Dear All,

I am trying to implement IPv6 in our network, which was going pretty well untill I ran into a little problem when trying to get IPv6 to work natively for our DSL customers.

We have a 7206VXR NPE-G2 on our network side, and for testing purposes a 877-W on the customer side. They have been configured as followed (note that these routers do not exchange IPv6 routing information with the rest of the network or the internet yet, so I just used two IPv6 addresses I found in an example configuration):

7206:
interface ATM2/0.756 point-to-point
description Test line
! Removed IP address because i don't believe it is needed for solving this problem
ip address x.x.x.x x.x.x.x
ip access-group ACL-VPI2-VCI756 in
atm route-bridged ip
atm route-bridged ipv6
no atm enable-ilmi-trap
ipv6 address 3FFE:1111:2222:1003::72/64
snmp trap link-status
pvc 2/756
 vbr-nrt 8000 8000
 encapsulation aal5snap

877:
interface ATM0.35 point-to-point
description WAN
! Removed IP address because i don't believe it is needed for solving this problem
ip address x.x.x.x x.x.x.x
ip nat outside
ip virtual-reassembly
atm route-bridged ip
atm route-bridged ipv6
pvc 0/35
 encapsulation aal5snap
!
ipv6 address 3FFE:1111:2222:1003::45/64

The problem is: we can't ping from each router to the other using it's IPv6 address (IPv4 works fine).

When doing a little debugging, I noticed the following logs on the 877 using 'debug ipv6 nd':

*Apr 6 16:09:30.071: ICMPv6-ND: DELETE -> INCMP: 3FFE: 1111:2222:1003::72 *Apr 6 16:09:30.071: ICMPv6-ND: Sending NS for 3FFE: 1111:2222:1003::72 on ATM0.35 *Apr 6 16:09:30.083: ICMPv6-ND: Received NA for 3FFE: 1111:2222:1003::72 on ATM0.35 from 3FFE:1111:2222:1003::72
*Apr  6 16:09:30.083: ICMPv6-ND: NA has no link-layer option
*Apr 6 16:09:31.071: ICMPv6-ND: Sending NS for 3FFE: 1111:2222:1003::72 on ATM0.35. *Apr 6 16:09:31.083: ICMPv6-ND: Received NA for 3FFE: 1111:2222:1003::72 on ATM0.35 from 3FFE:1111:2222:1003::72
*Apr  6 16:09:31.083: ICMPv6-ND: NA has no link-layer option
*Apr 6 16:09:32.071: ICMPv6-ND: Sending NS for 3FFE: 1111:2222:1003::72 on ATM0.35 *Apr 6 16:09:32.083: ICMPv6-ND: Received NA for 3FFE: 1111:2222:1003::72 on ATM0.35 from 3FFE:1111:2222:1003::72
*Apr  6 16:09:32.083: ICMPv6-ND: NA has no link-layer option.
*Apr 6 16:09:33.071: ICMPv6-ND: INCMP deleted: 3FFE: 1111:2222:1003::72 *Apr 6 16:09:33.071: ICMPv6-ND: INCMP -> DELETE: 3FFE: 1111:2222:1003::72

(this sequence repeats a couple of times, depending on the amount of pings I send).

The problem seems to get fixed (I can ping) when I put a static ipv6 neighbor entry in the 877:

ipv6 neighbor 3FFE:1111:2222:1003::72 atm0.35 0018.b987.4b38

I have done some searching on google for the problem I noted in the log 'NA has no link-layer option', which I think is the cause of this problem (I don't get this log line on the 7206), but haven't found any answers that solve my problem. I have also been trying to find some example configurations for IPv6 using ATM interfaces, but besides the most examples being about PPPoA, the examples that do fit my situation, don't show any configuration settings I am missing or did wrong.

I hope there is someone here who can give me a push in the right direction (either with my problem, or with the best location to find a good solution).

Please excuse me if I made a huge configurtion error in my IPv6 configuration, or with my mail to this list, because both is quite new to me, still ;)

Thanks in advance!

Bas Roos
_______________________________________________
cisco-nsp mailing list  [email protected]
https://puck.nether.net/mailman/listinfo/cisco-nsp
archive at http://puck.nether.net/pipermail/cisco-nsp/

_______________________________________________
cisco-nsp mailing list  [email protected]
https://puck.nether.net/mailman/listinfo/cisco-nsp
archive at http://puck.nether.net/pipermail/cisco-nsp/

Reply via email to