Matthew Crocker wrote:

I'm sure I'm being stupid here but I can't figure out what is going on.

I have 2 switches connected together via 2 GigE links, they are not bonded (no EtherChannel). I want link one to act as a backup to the other link. I don't care which link is primary

one switch is a 3550-12G the other is a Paradyne IPD12000E 'dslam'. When I connect both GigE links the traffic starts looping and in about 30-40 seconds the 3550 melts and I lose console access/response. yanking either of the links restores everything instantly. I'm sure it is a spanning tree problem but isn't looping exactly what it is supposed to detect and protect against?

The 3550-12G should always be the spanning tree route.

Topology is

7206 ---- 3550-12G ==== Paradyne IPD12000E ----- Paradyne IPD12000E
suggest you open a support case with Paradyne, by the sounds of it, no STP is running at all, its not responding to/generating BPDUs. does it support RPVST?

you can perhaps diagnose a bit more by bringing up the link between the 3550 and it with just one GbE and then inspecting STP status on c3550 with "show spanning-tree ..". make sure that it is bringing up the link as a bridge port & not access port.


cheers,

lincoln.
_______________________________________________
cisco-nsp mailing list  [email protected]
https://puck.nether.net/mailman/listinfo/cisco-nsp
archive at http://puck.nether.net/pipermail/cisco-nsp/

Reply via email to