While I'm no expert on power, we always have a panel near the equipment even
when we own most facilities we are located in.  Also a nice safety factor if
you think the breaker is pulled you don't have to worry about someone
accidently putting it back online ;)

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Jon Lewis
Sent: Tuesday, July 22, 2008 6:40 PM
To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: [c-nsp] Cisco 6500 Chassis PDU

On Tue, 22 Jul 2008, Teller, Robert wrote:

> I am in the process of installing two Cisco 6500 chassis and was curious
> what types of PDU's people are using.

On a similar note, I'm about to turn up a few 6500s using DC power. 
Since we run our own DC plant, we have the option of running the power 
through local (to the racks where the 6500s are) DC fuse panels or 
directly from the DC breakers which are off in another part of the 
facility.

I'm used to (in other colo environments) always getting DC power through a 
local fuse panel.  I like the idea that if the wiring needs to be 
disconnected for any reason, it's easy to pull the appropriate fuse (and 
know that it's remained pulled) while working on the wiring.  Others are 
saying it's just fine to go direct from the remote breakers into the gear.

Relying on a breaker in another room, that someone else might flip without 
your knowledge, seems like a recipe for getting hurt.  Does anyone 
actually do this?

----------------------------------------------------------------------
  Jon Lewis                   |  I route
  Senior Network Engineer     |  therefore you are
  Atlantic Net                |
_________ http://www.lewis.org/~jlewis/pgp for PGP public key_________
_______________________________________________
cisco-nsp mailing list  [email protected]
https://puck.nether.net/mailman/listinfo/cisco-nsp
archive at http://puck.nether.net/pipermail/cisco-nsp/
No virus found in this incoming message.
Checked by AVG - http://www.avg.com 
Version: 8.0.138 / Virus Database: 270.5.3/1565 - Release Date: 7/21/2008
6:36 PM

_______________________________________________
cisco-nsp mailing list  [email protected]
https://puck.nether.net/mailman/listinfo/cisco-nsp
archive at http://puck.nether.net/pipermail/cisco-nsp/

Reply via email to