At 11:56 AM 10/1/2008, Jay Nakamura wrote:
It looks like Opti-3 have "Long" and "Short" option for LBO on the DS3
interface.  I am going to make sure Verizon set it to short since the coax
is only about 15' long.

Even with short LBO, we still need the attenuators sometimes. Look for LCV errors.

I don't have any attenuators handy to try that out.  I did however, changed
the DSU mode to Kentrox and errors have gone away for the last hour.  I
didn't think that really mattered if you were doing full DS3.

It does matter. Verizon does have a lot of ADC/Kentrox DSUs connecting via HSSI to their old frame relay switches in their COs. Be careful of a nasty bug we found which will hang the router on boot if all of the following are true:

1. You have a PA-T3 or PA-2T3
2. You have dsu mode 2? (Kentrox mode whatever that is - I don't have time to look at the config at the moment)
3. A T3 is connected (unplug the T3 RECV and it will boot fine)
4. You reboot (soft or hard)

The router will hang right after it lists the RAM during the POST. The problem is with the microcode initialization for the DS3 chip when using Kentrox mode and only if there is carrier detected. They finally fixed this, but it is late in the 12.3 train and I don't think they backported it to 12.2. This is a nasty surprise when you reboot the router at a remote POP at 3AM. Just test for this and if you have the bug, let me know and I'll track down the bug ID in my archives. This problem was reproducible on any 72XX router with any PA-T3 or PA-2T3(+) card.

-Robert



Tellurian Networks - Global Hosting Solutions Since 1995
http://www.tellurian.com | 888-TELLURIAN | 973-300-9211
"Well done is better than well said." - Benjamin Franklin

_______________________________________________
cisco-nsp mailing list  [email protected]
https://puck.nether.net/mailman/listinfo/cisco-nsp
archive at http://puck.nether.net/pipermail/cisco-nsp/

Reply via email to