cisco.com has this to say about mixing AC and DC power supplies in the 7206:

 Caution Do not mix power supplies in the Cisco 7206. In dual power supply
 router configurations, both power supplies must be of the same type (two
 AC-input power supplies or two DC-input power supplies).

I've seen posts from people saying that they have mixed AC & DC in 7206's with both types powered up at the same time...and nothing bad happening. Can anyone say why cisco cautions against doing this? Is it just a grounding issue (possibly very different grounds provided by the AC power and rack's ground (used when using DC power)?

If it's just that, I would think that if the measured voltage between AC ground and rack ground is close to 0v, then this might be safe to do, especially as a short term situation while migrating from one type of power to the other.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
 Jon Lewis                   |  I route
 Senior Network Engineer     |  therefore you are
 Atlantic Net                |
_________ http://www.lewis.org/~jlewis/pgp for PGP public key_________
_______________________________________________
cisco-nsp mailing list  [email protected]
https://puck.nether.net/mailman/listinfo/cisco-nsp
archive at http://puck.nether.net/pipermail/cisco-nsp/

Reply via email to