Thanks all for your replies.

The Nexus 7000 defaults IPv4 ICMP Destination Unreachables to off but Port Unreachables to on. But when any DU are configured on, we rate- limit 1 per second per interface (where interface is the next-hop interface to send the DU to the source of the invoking packet).

Dino

On Nov 27, 2008, at 4:16 AM, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

I am just wondering how many people have ICMP Destination Unreachables disabled on their core routers. Could an CPE router, which may encapsulate
data, be able to depend on ICMP Unreachables to be sent to it?

I know there are many cases where router implementations default it to off (to not send ICMP DUs), but wondering who leaves it this way or turns them
on? Of when it defaults to on, who explicitly turns them off.

Most of people who disable ICMP DU just don't understand what ICMP DU
is for. Need I mention that PMTUD relies on ICMP type 3/code 4...
In addition, it looks like that "no ip unreach" interface command
disables "too big" message as well, breaking PMTUD.
I prefer to enable ICMP DU on any interfaces where fragmentation may occur.

There is also a middle ground here - leave ICMP Destination Unreachable
on but rate limit the replies to a suitably low value. This means that
you will *probably* get a reply, but it's certainly not guaranteed.

Steinar Haug, Nethelp consulting, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
_______________________________________________
cisco-nsp mailing list  [email protected]
https://puck.nether.net/mailman/listinfo/cisco-nsp
archive at http://puck.nether.net/pipermail/cisco-nsp/

_______________________________________________
cisco-nsp mailing list  [email protected]
https://puck.nether.net/mailman/listinfo/cisco-nsp
archive at http://puck.nether.net/pipermail/cisco-nsp/

Reply via email to