To restate what Robert said, pretend that there is an invisible 'deny ip any any' at the end of every extended ACL (or 'deny any' for standard ACLs). Anything not explicitly permitted is denied by the invisible deny ACE at the end. Personally I always add my own deny all ACE so I have a counter to see that I am rejecting packets. I can also have it log as needed. As Robert explained, you omitted the permit ACE for telnet and so the invisible deny statement came into effect and dropped your telnet packets.

Personally I never filter traffic destined to my equipment like that. I rely on the ACL-using abilities of the individual internal processes to protect themselves. For example to restrict VTY access you can use:

line vty 0 15
 access-class 110 in

VTY access-classes can use standard or extended ACLs.

For your web management server explicitly disable the HTTP server and then enable the HTTPS server

no ip http server
ip http secure-server
ip http access-class XXX

Note that you must you a standard ACL for filtering connections to the web server so you'll need another ACL for your HTTP(S) server.

Ditto for SNMP:

snmp-server community STRING ro XXX

It too requires a standard ACL.

You can also use ACLs to secure other protocols, NTP for example.


Personally I have one ACL for SNMP access (2 ACLs if I have to separate read-only and read-write access), another for HTTPS access which I rarely enable anyway, another for VTY access, and 1 or 2 for NTP access depending on what NTP function the device serves. You can also filter at the control-plane with CoPP but I haven't set it up yet.

Justin


Teller, Robert wrote:
Try this
  Extended IP access list 110
    permit tcp 192.168.0.0 0.255.255.255 [Vlan 1 ip] eq www
    permit tcp 172.16.0.0 0.255.255.255 [Vlan 1 ip] eq www
    permit tcp 10.0.0.0 0.255.255.255 [Vlan 1 ip] eq www
    permit tcp [ip address] [Vlan 1 ip] eq telnet
    deny tcp any eq www any log


  Extended IP access list 110
    permit tcp 192.168.0.0 0.255.255.255 any eq www
    permit tcp 172.16.0.0 0.255.255.255 any eq www
    permit tcp 10.0.0.0 0.255.255.255 any eq www
    deny tcp any eq www any
    deny tcp any eq www any log [your log is after your www deny so it
won't log anything]

You should be using https and ssh instead of http and telnet.

When using an access-list all traffic is explicitly denied.




-----Original Message-----
From: [email protected]
[mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of chloe K
Sent: Friday, December 12, 2008 11:05 AM
To: [email protected]
Subject: [c-nsp] suddenly lost telnet connection in switch

Hi I am doing the following access-list for www to restrict to switch
http access
  but when I apply it in the interface, i suddenly lost telnet
connection.
  Why?
Extended IP access list 110
    permit tcp 192.168.0.0 0.255.255.255 any eq www
    permit tcp 172.16.0.0 0.255.255.255 any eq www
    permit tcp 10.0.0.0 0.255.255.255 any eq www
    deny tcp any eq www any
    deny tcp any eq www any log
switch(config)#interface VLAN1
  switch(config-if)#ip access-group 110 in
switch(config-if)#


---------------------------------
Now with a new friend-happy design! Try the new Yahoo! Canada Messenger
_______________________________________________
cisco-nsp mailing list  [email protected]
https://puck.nether.net/mailman/listinfo/cisco-nsp
archive at http://puck.nether.net/pipermail/cisco-nsp/


#########################################################
The information contained in this e-mail and subsequent attachments may be privileged, confidential and protected from disclosure. This transmission is intended for the sole use of the individual and entity to whom it is addressed. If you are not the intended recipient, any dissemination, distribution or copying is strictly prohibited. If you think that you have received this message in error, please e-mail the sender at the above e-mail address.
#########################################################

_______________________________________________
cisco-nsp mailing list  [email protected]
https://puck.nether.net/mailman/listinfo/cisco-nsp
archive at http://puck.nether.net/pipermail/cisco-nsp/
_______________________________________________
cisco-nsp mailing list  [email protected]
https://puck.nether.net/mailman/listinfo/cisco-nsp
archive at http://puck.nether.net/pipermail/cisco-nsp/

Reply via email to