Here's the scenario:

server 1 has a trunk to switch 1.  One active vlan on the trunk, 15.
server 2 has a trunk to switch 1.  One active vlan on the trunk, 15.
switch 2 has 2 trunks to switch 1.  One active vlan on the trunks, 15.

Spanning-tree is setup as PVST on switch 1 and switch 2. Spanning- tree for vlan 15 blocks one of the ports on switch 2, which is expected. What I need to do is change the path from server 1 to server 2 so it goes via switch 2, not directly through switch 1, but I'm not sure if it's possible to block a path between two ports on the same switch in order to do what I want. I've tried variations of disabling spanning-tree on vlan 15 on switch 1 and/or fudging the vlan port costs on switch 1 and/or switch 2, but any way I cut the cake, there is always a physical port being blocked between switch 1 and switch 2. I can always just wire the servers directly to switch 2, but if I can find a way to do it remotely by fudging the tree, it'd save me a trip.

Incase it matters, switch 1 is a 3550 running 12.2(25)SEE1. Switch 2 is a 6509/SUP720 running 12.2(33)SXH3a. The 6509 connects to the 3550 via two ports on a WS-X6148A-GE-TX.

Thanks in advance.
_______________________________________________
cisco-nsp mailing list  [email protected]
https://puck.nether.net/mailman/listinfo/cisco-nsp
archive at http://puck.nether.net/pipermail/cisco-nsp/

Reply via email to