That brings up another question, what are best practices for keeping the hub 
site, say running on an OC-3, from overrunning the spoke, running at NxT1?

Thx,
Patrick

-----Original Message-----
From: [email protected] 
[mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of Mike Louis
Sent: Tuesday, January 27, 2009 5:43 PM
To: Higham, Josh; Cisco Mailing list
Subject: Re: [c-nsp] QoS with Voice and Video

I generally use CAC (call admission control on both my voice and video queues). 
I setup my voice on the priority queue with a priority bw reservation equal to 
my cac restrictions. I set the DSCP value to EF and match all of that to the 
service providers queue. Then i will setup the video with CAC value + 20% to 
allow for queueing of frames (per best practice from cisco) and mark that 
traffic DSCP 34 or AF41. I place this traffic in a bandwidth reserved queue 
only - non-priority, using the CAC Value + 20% as the bw statement.

I would also verify my topology from a hub and spoke standpoint and match CAC 
values there as well. All of this is important to maintaining proper quality. 
You can go farther with drop precedence within the queues themselves to protect 
certain classes within each queue from being dropped based on queue depth but i 
normally leave those values at the default unless i have multiple types of 
priority traffic in the same queue.

HTH

Mike

________________________________________
From: [email protected] [[email protected]] On 
Behalf Of Higham, Josh [[email protected]]
Sent: Tuesday, January 27, 2009 3:18 PM
To: Cisco Mailing list
Subject: [c-nsp] QoS with Voice and Video

This isn't specifically Cisco but hopefully is fairly on-topic.

What is the best practice (and real world) handling for voice and video
queues?

I am working on QoS implementation over our enterprise WAN (provider
supplied MPLS) and was told that it was ok to combine voice and video in
the priority queue, or even put video as priority and give voice a
dedicated, but not priority, class.

This is counter to everything that I knew/heard, which is that voice is
low bandwidth and not bursty, where video is high bandwidth and bursty,
so it could starve other queues.

My options are:

 * voice as priority, with video dedicated non-priority
 * voice and video combined as priority
 * video as priority, with voice dedicated non-priority

Does the queue starvation concern only matter if the priority queue is
using near 100% of the circuit?  I do have the ability to control the
bandwidth used at other points if that helps.  I want to avoid creating
jitter in either the voice or video classes.  Does anyone have any input
or references about what the best approach is?

Thanks,
Josh
_______________________________________________
cisco-nsp mailing list  [email protected]
https://puck.nether.net/mailman/listinfo/cisco-nsp
archive at http://puck.nether.net/pipermail/cisco-nsp/

Note: This message and any attachments is intended solely for the use of the 
individual or entity to which it is addressed and may contain information that 
is non-public, proprietary, legally privileged, confidential, and/or exempt 
from disclosure.  If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby 
notified that any use, dissemination, distribution, or copying of this 
communication is strictly prohibited.  If you have received this communication 
in error, please notify the original sender immediately by telephone or return 
email and destroy or delete this message along with any attachments immediately.

_______________________________________________
cisco-nsp mailing list  [email protected]
https://puck.nether.net/mailman/listinfo/cisco-nsp
archive at http://puck.nether.net/pipermail/cisco-nsp/
_______________________________________________
cisco-nsp mailing list  [email protected]
https://puck.nether.net/mailman/listinfo/cisco-nsp
archive at http://puck.nether.net/pipermail/cisco-nsp/

Reply via email to