My previous employer had 14 sites with a building count ranging between 1 and 
20. At each site (aka campus), we had 20 vlans or so. Though it was not a Cisco 
network, the concept is the same, we had an L3 chassis switch in the core as 
the campus router. From there, we extended L2 vlans to each building's 
distribution switch and downstream to each access switch. I was careful at the 
locations I directly managed to keep the vlans pruned and porganized so they 
touched as few switches as necessary. The campus backbone was 1GB Fiber and the 
core was based on a 300 Mbps fiber metro ring. We simply use L3 routed 
connections in the core and L2 at the distribution and access layers. Worked 
great. In the extended star topology that others implemented (before I came on 
board), the powers that be did not use STP. Generally, things were acceptable. 
I wanted RSTP, but that's a gripe for another day. OSPF was the routing 
algorithm. 2 of the L3 switches interfaced with the border routers. 

At my current employer, we are facing a similar situation as Marc, a flat 
network (with FAR fewer nodes) for 14 sites interconnected using T-1 circuits. 
I'm going to this same basic concept as above... a "standardized" ip addressing 
scheme and a standardization of vlan numbers at each site. We have very little 
at the access layer that needs anything special other than IP phones. 

Chris 

----- Original Message ----- 
From: "Marc Archer" <[email protected]> 
To: [email protected] 
Sent: Tuesday, January 27, 2009 5:50:06 PM GMT -08:00 US/Canada Pacific 
Subject: [c-nsp] Campus Network Design advice 

Hi Guys, I'm looking for some advice on redesigning our campus network. We have 
around 2500 devices on our site which are spread across multiple buildings. At 
present the network runs on a (legacy) single flat VLAN which has caused us 
more than our fair share of headaches of late. Basically we are looking at 2 
design options : The first option we have considered is to have a "router on a 
stick" at our core and trunk VLANS out to distribution switches in each 
building (and on to workgroup switches etc), leaving all routing to be done at 
the core. This would allow us to have all VLANS available in each building but 
I'm not sure if this is still going to be a problematic design (with VLANS 
extended all over the site). The other option we have been looking at (see 
attached) is to have L3 switches as all our distribution switches and contain 
VLANS to a particular building. This seems to be a neater solution to me, but 
I'm not sure of the best way to connect the distribution switc!
 hes back to the core. I would also like to connect adjacent distribution 
switches together for redundancy, so I'm wondering if I should be looking at a 
heap of /30 links between distribution switches & the core (and run OSPF) - or 
just use a L2 network and let STP manage the links. I havent had much playtime 
on networks this size so any advice would be greatly appreciated. M. 
_______________________________________________ cisco-nsp mailing list 
[email protected] https://puck.nether.net/mailman/listinfo/cisco-nsp 
archive at http://puck.nether.net/pipermail/cisco-nsp/
_______________________________________________
cisco-nsp mailing list  [email protected]
https://puck.nether.net/mailman/listinfo/cisco-nsp
archive at http://puck.nether.net/pipermail/cisco-nsp/

Reply via email to