On Sat, 31 Jan 2009, Oliver Boehmer (oboehmer) wrote:

When/why did this change?  Have other vendors done this?  A quick
search suggests JunOS defaults to 30s for external peers and 5s for
internal...but I don't know how current the documentation I found is.

Never mind.  I'm not sure what I was seeing this morning, but what I
thought I was seeing isn't happening now.

not sure what you saw, but IOS did change the default MRAI to zero
seconds on iBGP and VRF eBGP (PE-CE) sessions (CSCsb09852/CSCsd98763)..

That's probably where I saw it...an iBGP session. The reason I was looking at this is that recently we noticed one of our transit providers was sending us huge numbers/frequency of bgp updates, to the point that it appeared to be degrading performance on a sup720-3bxl. While troubleshooting what was going on, the sup720 actually crashed and reloaded. Later, watching show ip bgp neighbor, it was clear this provider had our session set to an MRAI of zero. Initially, they denied this and said it was set to the default of 30s...but eventually they did admit that it wasn't set that way and changed their config. I believe they're running Juniper gear. Some searching suggests JunOS doesn't do a MRAI for eBGP by default. I wonder if they switched gear recently, modified their config recently, or if it was just this router's "time to crash" and the flood of bgp updates is what pushed it over the edge.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
 Jon Lewis                   |  I route
 Senior Network Engineer     |  therefore you are
 Atlantic Net                |
_________ http://www.lewis.org/~jlewis/pgp for PGP public key_________
_______________________________________________
cisco-nsp mailing list  [email protected]
https://puck.nether.net/mailman/listinfo/cisco-nsp
archive at http://puck.nether.net/pipermail/cisco-nsp/

Reply via email to