On Thu, 9 Apr 2009, Drew Weaver wrote:
Ideally, I would like to be able to assign the management device a RFC 1918 IP, have the actual server be on a different subnet altogether but use a shared port. I know that BMCs generally can use VLAN tagging, but I'm really not sure how I can do all of this with just one port.
Yeah, you can.. enable VLAN trunking on the port, set your native VLAN to whatever you want the OS's main interface to be on, allow the VLAN you want management on as tagged, and set up your IPMI card to tag on that VLAN. Works fine. The OS can still get at the management VLAN, though, if you enable VLAN tagging on the OS-level and set up an interface on that VLAN.
The 'easy' way is to simply assign a dedicated NIC to the management device and run another cable, but I'm not sure that is the best way to do it.
..however, it is always my recommendation to use a dedicated NIC if you can. I've seen lots of issues with IPMI cards and shared interfaces.. for example, with many of the Supermicro motherboard and ipmi combos, when you assign an IP to the shared interface under Linux, all the sudden the IPMI stops working. Ooops. I think this is fixed in 2.6.27+, but still..
With the dedicated NIC, it's usually a completely isolated PHY, etc, so no matter what happens to the system itself, you can still get at IPMI, unless you lose power to that interface card.
_______________________________________________ cisco-nsp mailing list [email protected] https://puck.nether.net/mailman/listinfo/cisco-nsp archive at http://puck.nether.net/pipermail/cisco-nsp/
