Hi there,

We noticed a performance issue with one of our 6500 switches, the first thing I 
noticed was that IP INPUT was at 92% it was dropping packets wildly and there 
was quite a bit of latency.

I enabled 'debug ip packet details' and checked the log, it was showing traffic 
hitting a VLAN with external public (internet) IP addresses as the source, and 
0.0.0.0 as the destination. Fortunately the object on this VLAN/Port wasn't 
important so we admin shut the VLAN and almost instantly the IP INPUT dropped 
back to its regular 4-5%.

I don't believe I have ever seen legitimate traffic with those src/dst 
addresses before, so I am assuming that this was some sort of DoS attack. My 
question is, is this possible because the VLAN is configured incorrectly? or do 
I need to enable CoPP or some other mechanism for protecting the resources of 
the switch in the event that this occurs in the future? (both?).

Thanks!
-Drew

_______________________________________________
cisco-nsp mailing list  [email protected]
https://puck.nether.net/mailman/listinfo/cisco-nsp
archive at http://puck.nether.net/pipermail/cisco-nsp/

Reply via email to