On Wed, May 20, 2009 at 10:27:31PM +0200, Garry wrote:
> Question mainly is: Can Cisco gear handle a setup where there might be a
> ring made of - say - 20-30 switches, each of which having two interfaces
> each in the ring ("in" and "out", so to speak) ... while at the moment I
> don't expect that customer to set up more than 4-6 switches to begin
> with, locations are there that will require that number of switches over
> time ... (sort of a MAN scenario)Definitely not more than 20 in a ring. As far as I know, IOS limits the value of max-hops to 20. This means you can't have a BPDU traverse more than 20 hops without being thrown away. If one pair of switches in the ring experienced a total cut, your network would have a diameter of 20, end to end. JUNOS lets you set that value to 255, but I doubt that STP-like protocols ever scale that well. I don't know anything about the various vendor-specific link redundancy features - my guess is you'll have to go there. -- Ross Vandegrift [email protected] "If the fight gets hot, the songs get hotter. If the going gets tough, the songs get tougher." --Woody Guthrie _______________________________________________ cisco-nsp mailing list [email protected] https://puck.nether.net/mailman/listinfo/cisco-nsp archive at http://puck.nether.net/pipermail/cisco-nsp/
