On Thu, 7 May 2009, Jon Lewis wrote:

I didn't think ACL logging worked in either direction on the 3550. I ran across something even more disturbing recently. A customer had an apparently compromised system found SSH scanning remote hosts. I put a simple ACL on the customer's layer 3 port (i.e. no switchport, ip address ...),
ip access-list extended f0/48-in-acl
deny   tcp any any eq 22
permit ip any any

int f0/48
ip access-group f0/48-in-acl in

According to netflow (on our 6500s upstream of the 3550s) some SSH scanning traffic was still getting through...or remote hosts just happened to be sending this customer tcp traffic from their port 22 to random high ports. This is under 12.1(22)EA10b. I haven't gotten around to testing this further.

After further investigation (port monitoring), I've determined that the customer server is not sending ssh scan traffic anymore, but for some reason, one host in Ukraine is continuing to send it packets that look like malformed responses to an ssh session.

So, I'm going to blame this on a misbehaving host in Ukraine and not on the 3550's ACL failing to drop packets.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
 Jon Lewis                   |  I route
 Senior Network Engineer     |  therefore you are
 Atlantic Net                |
_________ http://www.lewis.org/~jlewis/pgp for PGP public key_________
_______________________________________________
cisco-nsp mailing list  [email protected]
https://puck.nether.net/mailman/listinfo/cisco-nsp
archive at http://puck.nether.net/pipermail/cisco-nsp/

Reply via email to