It's just that simple. ;)

The problem comes if you want the routing table separation at multiple hops in a network. It usually doesn't scale to do VRF lite on every hop because it would be a configuration challenge.

But if it's just to differential the RIB on one box what you have will do it.

Or depending on where you want to dump the vlan out at you may look at a L2tpv3 xconnect (you have to get the hardware to support it though) and carry it L2 all the way through the ip network. I'd say EoMPLS but you need MPLS for that.

Rodney



Jeff Bacon wrote:
So, I have this dot1q trunk on which I receive a bunch of vlans, each of
which is its own P-T-P circuit to <somewhere>. It's connected to a
6500/sup720.
Currently I bring it in as a dot1q trunk on a switchport, map the VLANs,
and then use SVIs to handle layer-3.
However, I would really like to pass off some of the circuits to other
devices, without the 6500's global RIB being involved. (The 6500 is one
of my edge devices that I use to connect to a bunch of other vendors,
and it along with its twin do lots of stuff. But then there's other
activities - imagine, say, I want to run an internal WAN link over the
trunk. I don't want to have to clutter the 6500's global RIB with my
internal routes just to pass the link through it.)
This seems like what VRF-lite is meant to do. Only the docs appear all
sort of skewed towards MPLS VPN implementations and BGP, and I'm not
doing MPLS tag switching here, or BGP. I guess I just want mini virtual
router instances running EIGRP to tie <this incoming dot1q VLAN> to
<this other port> so I can spin off some of the incoming VLANs/ckts to
the other devices they're meant for.
(This is about cost - I can have each ckt be its own port off the
provider's equipment and thus have every ckt go to the device intended,
but that's an additional $150-300/mo xconnect charge from my co-lo
provider plus I get bulk discounts from the provider by bringing
everything in on a gig trunk - they don't have to chew up as many ports
on their equipment.)

I think I get the basic idea -
vrf fred
  rd 1:2
router eigrp 20
  network 20.0.0.0
  address-family fred
     network 10.0.0.0
     no auto-summary
int g2/1
   desc dot1q trunk from provider
int g2/1.2000
   desc incoming ckt I need to go somewhere else
encap dot1q 2000 ip vrf fred ip address 10.5.5.2 255.255.255.252
int g2/1.3000
   desc incoming ckt that the 6500 should deal with
   encap dot1q 3000
   ip address 20.1.1.1 255.255.255.252
other normal stuff int g4/3
   desc port to some-other-router
   ip vrf fred
ip address 10.4.4.2 255.255.255.252
is it really that simple? Will VRF-lite work without actually using BGP
or MPLS? Are there docs somewhere in the Cisco spiderweb which are
clearer on the topic than the ones which are part of the SX doc train?

Thanks,
-bacon

_______________________________________________
cisco-nsp mailing list  [email protected]
https://puck.nether.net/mailman/listinfo/cisco-nsp
archive at http://puck.nether.net/pipermail/cisco-nsp/
_______________________________________________
cisco-nsp mailing list  [email protected]
https://puck.nether.net/mailman/listinfo/cisco-nsp
archive at http://puck.nether.net/pipermail/cisco-nsp/

Reply via email to