Thanks for the reply.  I am aware of three options for dual active detection
*Enhanced PAgP - requires selected switches with specific IOS versions on the other end to work
*BFD
*Fast Hello

I understand that if using ePAgP as the dual active detection method then running PAgP on channels is required. Not everyone will select this method (I have selected Fast Hello). I don't believe the section of the best practice guide below relates directly to dual-active detection as LACP is presented as a recommended option. Any other ideas for why explicit trunks are not recommend are welcome.

Ivan
Cisco Best Practice will be use PAgP if you want to like to avoid VSS dual active scenario (better than BFD) On Thu, Aug 6, 2009 at 1:50 AM, Ivan <[email protected] <mailto:[email protected]>> wrote:

    Cisco VSS best practice document states

    Recommendations
       *      Always run L2 or L3 MEC.
       *      Do not use on and off options with PAgP or LACP or Trunk
    protocol negotiation.
             o            PAgP — Run Desirable-Desirable with MEC links.
             o            LACP — Run Active-Active with MEC links.
             o            Trunk — Run Desirable-Desirable with MEC links.


    
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps9336/products_tech_note09186a0080a7c837.shtml

    There is not really any explanation of the reasoning behind these
    recommendations.  If anyone can explain the rational that would be
    great.
    I would also be interested to hear what settings people are using in
    production, why and how that is going.

    Generally in non VSS setups I have found setting links explicitly
    to trunk
    mode and as etherchannel members has been reliable and would like to
    understand why they are not recommended above.

    Thanks

    Ivan

    _______________________________________________
    cisco-nsp mailing list  [email protected]
    <mailto:[email protected]>
    https://puck.nether.net/mailman/listinfo/cisco-nsp
    archive at http://puck.nether.net/pipermail/cisco-nsp/



_______________________________________________
cisco-nsp mailing list  [email protected]
https://puck.nether.net/mailman/listinfo/cisco-nsp
archive at http://puck.nether.net/pipermail/cisco-nsp/

Reply via email to