Just an FYI - this is a document that explains overall functionality of BFD....
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/technologies/tk648/tk365/tk480/technologies_white_paper0900aecd80244005.html On Fri, Aug 21, 2009 at 11:34 AM, Justin Shore<[email protected]> wrote: > MKS wrote: >> >> Can you share your experience with BFD on the 7600 platform and sw >> release? > > I use it and like it. However beginning with SRB2 Cisco removed support for > running BFD on SVIs. To date there is no workaround and the feature hasn't > been added back to SR. Otherwise it works fine in my experience. > >> The document hints that BFD runs in hardware on the following >> modules,but does not explicitly say so. Can someone clarify this for >> me? > > To the best of my knowledge BFD is 100% software driven. Generating echo > requests, processing those requests, receiving the echo replies and > processing them aren't things that ASICs are suited for I don't believe. I > could be mistaken and someone else may chime in with more detailed > knowledge, but I wouldn't expect something like BFD to be handled in > hardware. > > That's not necessarily a reason to not use BFD. BFD is meant to be > lightweight. That may be a reason not to run several thousand instances of > it on a single router of course... > > Justin > > > _______________________________________________ > cisco-nsp mailing list [email protected] > https://puck.nether.net/mailman/listinfo/cisco-nsp > archive at http://puck.nether.net/pipermail/cisco-nsp/ > -- -- Jason Plank (CCIE #16560) _______________________________________________ cisco-nsp mailing list [email protected] https://puck.nether.net/mailman/listinfo/cisco-nsp archive at http://puck.nether.net/pipermail/cisco-nsp/
